Bor nakka mur,
Natromo faan tornek wot ur,
Ter Lantern ker lo Abin Sur,
Taan lek lek nok-formorrow Sur !‘
(Translation unknown. Nok means “compassion be with you”, and is the name of the Tribe’s home planet. Natromo is their Guardian (kind of). Abin Sur is a reference to the Green Lantern who secretly founded them.)
This profile is for a generic Indigo Power Ring worn by the Indigo Tribe, representing the emotion of compassion.
It is a companion profile for the Power Rings main article, which you should totally read first.
Powers & Abilities
Indigo Power Rings, in addition to the standard Ring abilities, allow them to:
- heal others by touch
- force others to empathise with the pain they’d caused
- teleport them and others intergalactic distances
Their Power Battery manifests itself as a staff through which Indigo Lanterns can unleash blasts of energy, and duplicate the abilities of other colour Power Rings nearby.
While they generally require the pure source of emotional energy the other Power Rings channel to give them their powers, Indigo Lanterns can use the strong emotional energy of others as a weaker substitute [Emotion Absorption].
There are also some minor irregularities such as Indigo-1 apparently displaying a kind of telepathy. But it’s unclear whether this is a facet of the Ring or Indigo-1 herself.
While their programming will send the Rings to recruit those with compassion, the Indigo Tribe recruitment doesn’t allow them to do so.
Instead the Tribe targets the worst sociopaths. They undergo a ritual to cleanse them of other emotions, the have the Ring introduced to them, giving them compassion and making them grieve for their past actions.
The only exemplar we have of the traits Indigo Power Rings look for is Ray Palmer (sector 2814), as he’s the only one known to have been selected by the Ring itself.
Other known Indigo Tribesmen, all forcibly recruited, include Iroque (Indigo-1), Munk, Kreaven, Slog the Slayer, William Hand (sector 2814), and Sinestro Thaal (sector 1417). Natromo — a native of the planet Nok (sector 2814) — is forger of the Rings, and serves as their Guardian.
Indigo Tribe members are probably the most heavily influenced of Ring-wielders, by design. They’re monsters who’ve been given empathy.
If the Ring is removed they’ll usually snap back to their previous persona. However Indigo-1 (Iroque) had been under the ring’s influence long enough that she retained her compassion even without the Ring, and wanted it back to ease the pain of her guilt.
[In DC Heroes RPG terms it has given her Guilt, although the amount of time necessary for this is unknown. Possibly the Ring uses a constant low level Broadcast Empath against its wielder]
The compassion it gives its wielder makes them reluctant to throw the first punch, so they’re rarely the first to act in combat [Uncertainty].
These open a new page on Facebook, Twitter or G+. This is because we don't let social networks track you on writeups.org.
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG Print Friendly
INDIGO POWER RING (A 5097 HP Gadget)
INT 06 /BODY/ (Hardened) 12 BODY 30
Comprehend Languages: 20, Damage Transference: (AUR), Detect (Superior candidate for Indigo Tribe recruitment): 05, Flight: 40, Life Sense: 15, Miniaturisation: 10, Phobia: (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs), Regeneration: 04, Sealed Systems: 16, Skin Armor: 04, Telepathy: 05, Teleportation: 35
- Damage Transference is User-Linked to AUR
- Phobia is User-Linked to (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs)
Bonuses and Limitations:
- None of the Powers has an AV (-1 or -0 Drawback, depending on house rules) – use the relevant Accuracy Skill instead
- Damage Transference has the User Does Not Suffer Risk of Injury Bonus
- Detect has a special +75 Range Bonus, and can only be used upon the death of the wearer, to scout for a successor.
Detect itself will scan for quantitative aspects such as the relevant Power Link Skill, Attribute, Advantages, but the process also allows for benchmarking against an exemplar to determine ethical suitably. This exemplar is programmed in the rings, but this is not a flawless process and sometimes it can authorise persons who aren’t that right
- Life Sense is limited to detecting Indigo Tribesmen, and has a +30 Range Bonus
- Phobia has a Range of Touch, and doesn’t create an image of the target’s greatest fear, but rather the pain they’ve inflicted on innocents — the OV of the target may thus be modified by how much or how little pain they’ve inflicted, at the GM’s discretion
- Telepathy cannot be used to engage in mental combat – only for communication, often helped by the ring’s Comprehend Languages
- When used to communicate with members of the Indigo Tribe, Telepathy has a special +75 Range Bonus
- Teleportation has Minor Power Burnout.
Insta-Change, Language (Indigo Tribe, an otherwise OV/RV 25 APs language)
- SIA (Compassion)
- Power Loss: The ring runs out of charge after roughly 24 Earth hours of fairly heavy use. When the ring’s charge is exhausted, all Powers go to zero until recharged. The ring provides updates as to its charge status (usually as a percentage) whenever requested or when passing certain thresholds
- Gradual Power Loss: Mental conditions that make it difficult to accurately visualise force constructs drastically lower the efficiency of the ring. These include psychoactive drugs, neural scrambling, inner ear scrambling, some sonic attacks, etc.
Any RAPs from such an effect means an immediate Gradual Power Loss of (RAPs+1) Columns on all of the ring’s Powers, as long as these effects are active. In the same spirit, RAPs from Mental and Spiritual attacks are subtracted from the EV or RV of any power ring use during the next Dice Action
Power Battery Staff (A 1277 HP Gadget)
EV 04 BODY 25
Adaptation: (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs), Emotion Absorption: (AUR), Energy Blast: (Half-User-Linked to (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs))
- Adaptation is User-Linked to (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs)
- Energy Blast is Half-User-Linked to (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs)
- Emotion Absorption is User-Linked to AUR
Bonuses and Limitations:
- Adaptation only works on Power Ring Powers (including Black Rings), may only be maintained while the target copied is within close Range (half AP of Adaptation), and makes them subject to the emotional Drawbacks of the Ring
- Energy Blast doesn’t have an AV (-1 or -0 Drawback, depending on house rules) – use the relevant Accuracy Skill instead
- Emotion Absorption Powers Adaptation if there are no Power Rings available, but can only let it duplicate the Powers of the Ring associated with the absorbed emotion
Source of Character: DC Comics
Helper(s): Francisco, Roy Cowan, Adam Fuqua, Peter S Piispanen, methusan
Writeup completed on the 11th of October, 2013.