Powers and Abilities
A highly trained intelligence operative, Miranda is an experienced combatant, skilled in a range of modern weaponry. She’s a capable strategist and tactician, leading her agents into situations when she can reach an incident in time, or offering whatever support she can otherwise.
Her knowledge and control of the Frequency give her enormous political power which she uses to help gain her people the information or authorization to do their jobs.
You’re on Global Frequency
Miranda set up the Global Frequency as a covert rescue organization, dealing with threats the authorities were unable or unwilling to deal with.
The Frequency is no longer as secret as when it started, having developed from internet rumour into a generally known, if mysterious and sometimes doubted, organization, although Miranda is the only publicly known member (making her the target for all its enemies), and most members don’t know each other unless they’ve worked together.
There are around a thousand people on the Frequency, specialists in a number of fields, with new ones recruited as they’re needed. These are coordinated by Aleph, who operates Global Frequency’s Central Operations facility, activating operatives via the advanced phones they’re all equipped with.
While the full nature of their funding is unrevealed, at least part comes from the G8 governments, who pay for the Frequency to not reveal the secret horrors of their creation which the Frequency must clear up. This also gives Miranda connection in the highest levels of governments, allowing her High Level Special Credentials.
The Global Frequency allows access to specialists in any field (INT 06 and Scholar in the appropriate field), allows Miranda to assign combat-oriented members who are available in the area, and allows the rapid processing of large amounts of information as Aleph recruits as many members as needed (see Alephs entry).
Frequency agents can be equipped with the most advanced technology time allows, and may even have access to advanced technology invented by some of its members.
Known members of the Frequency past and present include (with numbers where known):-
- Ivan Alibekov (John Alibek) – #1001 – Defected Russian esoteric weaponeer. Recruited when one of his former subjects, Janos Voydan, became a human bomb.
- Alice April – Former criminal, now bodyguard to celebrities. Part of the team which rescued Miranda after she’d been kidnapped.
- Jill Cabot – English. Wetworks experience. On holiday in Australia when activated to help stop internet cult killing thirty hostages if government didn’t cede power to their multisexual space gods from beyond the pillars of creation.
- Nick Cho – NY. Good with guns and cars. Helped fight alien memetic virus attack. Slept with Aleph and now she punishes him with the dangerous jobs.
- Douglas Coyle – London. Experienced at interrogations.
- Winston Croft – Los Angeles. Retired master detective. Part of the team which located Miranda after she’d been kidnapped.
- Alan Crowe – Magician. Part of the team dealing with the Norwegian angel sighting.
- Allison Fitzgerald – #702 – Pilot based in San Francisco, died in action.
- Frenchman – Expert in biofeedback, as was his nemesis, Lionel Wellfare. Assigned when Wellfare was employed to attack a US government biotech facility in Texas. Fought and eventually killed Wellfare, beating him to death with his own, ripped off, arm.
- Mr. Grushko – Russian, big and freaky looking, with an intimidating axe. Stopped terrorist attack on London.
- Danny Gulpilil – Melbourne police officer. Stopped internet cult killing thirty hostages if Australian government didn’t cede power to their multisexual space gods from beyond the pillars of creation.
- Lyn Hilton – NY. Logistics and good with guns. Helped fight alien memetic virus attack.
- Kaz – Hacker.
- Lana Kennedy – #884 – NY-based. Neuroliguicist, memetic specialist. Programmed anti-virus to alien memetic virus attack.
- Beta Krisjansdottir – Icelandic parapsychologist. Part of the team dealing with the Norwegian angel sighting.
- Lau Jia – Chinese intelligence. Died stopping terrorist attack on London.
- Dr. Lauder – Seattle. Pharmacologist.
- Donna Lo – San Francisco. Uncertain specialty, possibly psychology or neuroscience. Part of the team that dealt with the Norwegian angel sighting.
- Musson – Los Angeles. Genetic fingerprinter. Part of the team which located Miranda after she’d been kidnapped.
- Misha Norton – Satellite specialist and hacker.
- Man at MIT – Physicist with a bondage fetish.
- Sita Patel – #992 – London based La Parkour runner. Stopped release of weaponized Ebola Zaire by amateur terrorists.
- Sir Patrick – Retired intelligence operative, and amateur astronomer, with a catalogue of spy satellites.
- Lisa Richards – Guntech.org, following new military research.
- Takashi Sato – Osaka. Retired from the Frequency after witnessing suicide of class of schoolgirls, and island where children had gone to kill each other. Reluctantly reactivated to investigate problem at local medical facility, where heavy psychotropics had been released into the air, and affected doctors had performed ghastly experiments on patients. Sato called in air strike and committed suicide.
- John Stark – #288 – Surveillance expert, special forces experience. Lead agent in the hunt for Janos Voydan, a former Soviet sleeper with weaponized psychic abilities, turned into a bomb by decaying electronics left in his head. John had to execute him before San Francisco was destroyed.
- Mark Tran – LA based inventor and CEO, created Solosoar jetpack. Part of the team which located Miranda after she’d been kidnapped.
- James Weisbeck – Center for Disease Control.
- Bert Traux – Rocket scientist. Runs independent space agency, Skyramp. Sent rocket up to disable the satellite running the Die-Back Doctrine.
- Unnamed – #436 – Female, ex-CIA agent, subject of limited bionic enhancements. Died during the Big Wheel incident.
- Unnamed – Sniper. Involved in the Big Wheel incident. Shot the rogue cyborg Cptn. Richard Quinn, destroying his nuclear motors, spreading radiation over the area. Presumably died soon after.
- Unnamed – Male. Formerly developed non-lethal weaponry for the Pentagon, most of which turned out to not be that non-lethal.
- Unnamed – Female, badly scarred Israeli fighter who carries large guns. Part of the Big Wheel operation. It seemed like she was killed during the Big Wheel operation, but she appeared again during the Die-Back Doctrine operation, so either she survived off-screen or the stories are out of sequence
- Unnamed – #944 – Berlin police detective.
A disillusioned high-level operative in the American intelligence community, the woman known as Miranda Zero, her real name obscured to let her do her job, grew disappointed by the community’s habit of burying or ignoring their mistakes rather than cleaning them up, and being too involved in political shit to work together to get the job done quickly.
Recruiting experts in numerous fields, she established the Global Frequency as an independent rescue organization, responding rapidly to emergency situations. Realising she needed someone to coordinate the growing organization, she recruited a young girl with a super-processor brain from university, giving her the codename Aleph, and setting her up in Central Operations under Manhattan.
When the USAF lost control of the surviving test subject in the Big Wheel facility, an officer who had undergone numerous operations to become an operational cyborg, they asked Miranda to take a squad in, before they’d have to resort to their main strategy of nuking the place, the fallout from which would probably reach inhabited areas.
Leading a squad with experience in military espionage, she found Captain Richard Quinn had been made so unrecognisable as a human that his sanity had finally snapped, and they had no choice but to try to kill him. A localized EMP proved unable to stop him, but damaged him, and after Miranda and one of the team’s surviving members retreated in a helicopter, their sniper destroyed Quinn’s nuclear power source, killing him, and irradiating the area, although less so than a strategic nuclear strike would have.
When a Seti@home collaborator picked up an alien signal, the virus spread through the neighbourhood, and Miranda had to lead a team through the zombified residents to get the Frequency’s memetic specialist to rewrite the code into an anti-virus. They managed to halt the infection with no further loss of life.
She led a team to aid a small Norwegian village whose residents had been left in deep states of shock after witnessing an angel over the spot where their church had just burned down. The Frequency learned that the changes in pressure caused by the fire had set off low frequency resonances in the caves beneath the village, affecting the villagers’ brain chemistries. This gave them a basis for neurochemical therapy to cure the villagers.
Learning of a terrorist plan to assassinate the head of MI6, and to detonate a dirty bomb above London, Miranda leads a team to warn the target, replacing his convoy with remote-controlled cars, allowing them to trace the terrorists in time to stop them detonating the bomb.
During a trip to Los Angeles, Miranda was abducted from her hotel room by members of Odinsrage, a white-power group whose operations she’d previously interfered with. They tried to get her to give up a list of her agents, but failed, and Frequency agents found them before the hour they’d allowed for the quick interrogation, Alice April arriving just in time to kill them as Miranda was about to be executed.
When a Frequency member learned that an American defence program known as the Die-Back Doctrine, had been activated without authorization, Miranda mobilized the majority of Frequency members. The Die-Back Doctrine proposed the destruction of 80% of the world’s population, so as to bring them down to more manageable numbers.
The satellites to launch the attack could only be reached by a military cell in Chicago, who were off comms for a few weeks. With government authorization, Miranda led a kill squad into the strike station, but found the staff dead and no way to stop the launch from there. A rocket had been launched from Skyramp, and when its pilot found the device he’d been given to destroy the satellite wouldn’t set, activated it manually, sacrificing himself to destroy the satellite.
Calm, confident and tough, Miranda is unrelenting in her mission to protect the public from the threats hiding in the dark corners of society. She’s fiercely protective of her people, willing to die rather than give up their identities. Capable of dealing diplomatically with the authorities, she’s nevertheless willing to browbeat them into doing things her way if they prove antagonistic. Constantly professional, she expects the same from her people, and doesn’t like repeating herself.
“My name is Miranda Zero. And you’re on the Global Frequency.”
“These are the things I formed the Global Frequency to deal with. The litter of the way we live. The unexploded bombs.”
Alibek: “Is your name really Miranda Zero ?”
Miranda: “It’s the only one you’re getting.”
“You have to understand: this is not the resolution I would prefer. But there’s no one else doing this job. Even the G-8 governments paying us hush money for the horrors we find admit that. Ultimately, we have to rescue ourselves from the things visited upon us. And we can’t always be nice about it.”
Lana: “What defines the human race ?”
Miranda: “Right now ? Its ability to piss me off.”
(Being interrogated) “Do you think I’m scared of pain ? Three years ago in Haiti, a cell of ex-Tonton Macoute fired a nail through my right thigh. Five years ago, radical white separatists in Maine painted an eagle on my back in paint-stripper gel. Last March Russian black marketers took bolt cutters to my breasts. Understand, you don’t frighten me. Your stupid little hands and your thing with the gun do not frighten me. You are ignorant and gutless and you do not frighten me.”
DC Universe History
A former colleague of Sarge Steel, he’s more diplomatic with her than other intelligence types, although his position forces him to keep more diplomatic distance than he’d like. Nevertheless, he helps her when he can, and occasionally feeds her information.
She’s also worked with Amanda Waller, but the pair share a mutual dislike for each other’s agendas, and Waller isn’t above sabotaging GF operations if she gets the chance.
Miranda has a few covert metahumans on the Global Frequency, although she prefers to avoid missions which would require such types, preferring to leave those to supergroups, a few of which she has connections with.
The links to follow us and/or subscribe to our monthly newsletter are at the bottom of this page.
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG Print Friendly
|Dex: 05||Str: 03||Bod: 04||Motivation: Responsibility of Power|
|Int: 07||Wil: 07||Min: 08||Occupation: Head of Global Frequency|
|Inf: 08||Aur: 08||Spi: 08||Resources: 015|
|Init: 022||HP: 060|
Charisma: 08, Detective (Clue Analysis): 06, Martial Artist: 05, Thief: 05, Vehicles (Land): 05, Weaponry (Firearms): 06
Iron Nerves, Leadership, Scholar (Intelligence Community Secrets)
Intelligence Community (Low)
Authority Figure, Public ID
Global Frequency Phone [BODY 04, Radio Communications (Scrambled): 19, Misc. Advantage (Allow Remote Sensing from Central Operations)]
Source of Character: Global Frequency by Warren Ellis