Writeups.org has a number of “Weapons Locker” articles – named in homage to a 1980s supplement for the old Marvel Super-Heroes Role-Playing Game by TSR.
They’re not lists of game stats — though there is a lot of stats — but are closer to a guided tour about the types of weapons in action-adventure stories and the role they play. These also help us maintain coherence from one writeups.org profiles to the next, and avoid repeating explanations in numerous articles.
Generally, the stats in the weapons locker articles are the most up-to-date, so if you want you can use those instead of the stats in some of the older articles. These stats are intended to replace those in the rulesbooks.
List of articles and links
This list of links used to be quite useful on the pre-2016 version of writeups.org. It’s less useful now that there is a category for Weapons Locker articles on our search page, but let’s maintain the guide anyway.
Generic articles – modern firearms series
- Weapons locker – Modern firearms – Handguns part #1 covers the standard weapons in the following categories – Concealed Handguns, Medium-sized Handguns, Large Handguns, Machine Pistols.
- Weapons locker – Modern firearms – Handguns part #2 covers the same categories, but focuses on the rare/exotic/specialised guns.
- Weapons locker – Modern firearms – Small arms part #1 covers the standard weapons in the following categories – Submachineguns, Shotguns, Rifles.
- Weapons locker – Modern firearms – Small arms part #2 covers the same categories, but focuses on the rare/exotic/specialised guns.
- Weapons locker – Modern firearms – Grenades covers the following weapon categories – Grenade Launchers, Grenades.
- Weapons locker – Modern firearms – Heavier weapons covers machineguns, flamethrowers, disposable rocket launchers, etc..
- Weapons locker – Modern firearms – Less-than-lethal only covers less-than-lethal *ranged* weaponry.
- Weapons locker – Modern firearms – Accessories and ammunition covers sights, silencers, feeding mechanisms, lights, specialised ammunition (realistic or not), etc..
- Weapons locker – Modern firearms – Improvised covers home-made guns, for instance in a post-apocalyptic setting.
Generic articles – melee weapons
- Weapons locker – Melee weapons – Chapter zero is the technical primer. It recaps the rules issues and solutions that pertain to small weapons in DCH.
- Weapons locker – Melee weapons (part 1 – Small melee weapons). Common small melee weapons (knives, hatchets, sai, etc.).
- Weapons locker – Melee weapons (part 2 – Medium melee weapons). Common medium melee weapons (swords, axes, maces, etc.).
- Common heavy melee weapons (halberds, zweihanders, etc.).
Generic articles – shields and armour
- Weapons locker – shields has a robust mixture of additional rules for shield-slingers, and types of shields across the ages (and beyond).
- Weapons Locker – Body armour – Chapter zero is the technical introduction, covering the generalities and the technical tools that’ll get used in articles about body armour.
- Weapons Locker – Body Armour – Chapter 1 – Low-tech, lighter body armour.
- Weapons Locker – Body Armour – Chapter 2 – Low-tech, medium weight body armour.
- Weapons Locker – Body Armour – Chapter 3 – Low-tech, heavier body armour.
Generic articles – other articles
- Weapons locker – Bows covers bows, arrows and accessories ancient and modern. No crossbows yet, though.
- Weapons locker – The Quick Missiles Essay provides stock stats for the main missile and warheads types. It’s a short article but has suited all our needs so far.
- Weapons locker – Old West firearms covers the guns used in movies, comics, novels, etc. set in the Old West — the decades that follow the Civil War.
- Weapons locker was the last evolution of the original article. It covered a lot of ground – albeit in a shallow manner – so there is still material in it that has yet to be covered by more modern articles.
Universe-specific articles and links
- Weapons locker – Star Trek weapons – Phasers covers all hand-held types of phasers from the various Star Trek series – original to 2009 reboot.
- Weapons locker – Classic DooM covers all the weaponry (and the backpack) from the 1990s DooM video games that founded the first-person shooter genre. It includes various rationalisations about the characteristics of the weapons.
- Weapons locker – Lightsabres covers the various types of lightsabers found in the Star Wars universe, and their use.
- Weapons locker – Mass Effect and Weapons locker – Mass Effect 2 include some notes about tactics and various suggestions to rationalise the video game logic.
- Weapons locker – Half-Life covers all the hand-held weapons (including bio-weapons) from Half-Life, Opposing Forces and Half-Life 2.
- Weapons locker – Unreal Tournament covers the arsenal from one of the classic video game shooters of the late 1990s.
- Weapons locker – Fallout includes a discussion of weapons in Fallout, and a detailed discussion of firearms in a post-apocalyptic setting.
- Weapons Locker – XCom 2012 reboot covers the early tech tree with planes, body armour, lasers, grenades, and other advanced ordnance to fight alien intruders.
- Weapons locker – Aliens is being considered.
Like many of our large resources-providing article (say, the Animals File) these articles are routinely being tweaked, cleaned up, enriched, corrected, etc.. You can generally tell something is new because there’s a photo you haven’t seen there before – these are very visual articles.
These open a new page on Facebook, Twitter or G+. This is because we don't let social networks track you on writeups.org.