As a side note we have a tiny DeviantArt presence. That account was originally created to contact people to get authorisation to use their work, but I figured I might as well post some of the modelling and detouring we do. People who are on DA and like this stuff can thus find writeups.org, and though it’s tiny it has had surprisingly good feedback.
As always, and as with our small Pinterest board feel free to favourite, tag, repost, whatever the pieces you like — to spread the word. For convenience’s sake I’ve listed our social-media-thingies presence on the Links page of writeups.org. Generally folks on the Internet much prefer images to words, so pushing the illustrations a bit might help the site.
Furthermore, a fix was found for those sites that link to our entries with character encoding mistakes. I mean “found” in the litteral sense, since it was copy-paste coding at its finest using Jim’s solution. I can read his regexes… if you give me 20 minutes per line. More generally hundreds of 404s have been manually declared fixed to Google, and nearly all links you’ll find across the net to writeups.org now work – except for the really borked ones, or the pre-2004 ones.
Anyway. Few wholly new entries this time around, but a lot of entries getting overhauled as I run across them as part of my images embiggening work. Improving the pictures without improving the texts is often too hard to resist.
- CHARMED. More handy minor villains from Ethan’s coverage of the show – the three shapeshifter demons.
- The second and last part of our redone Peter Van Zante profile is up – after his career as the Water Wizard (a Ghost Rider villain), his time as Aqueduct (a New Warriors villain). Writeups.org is now one of the best Peter Van Zante reference sites in the world. Yeah, I’m impressed too.
- NEW RULES. The Foe Drawback has had one last-for-now round of polish and is now in the New Rules Files – Drawbacks.
- GREAT TEN. Small upgrade to Ghost Fox Killer‘s entry to add her ghost limousine and explain the Jade Lion and ghost army for all readers.
- VILLAINY INC. More entries had their illustrations rescanned and their texts redone for style/brevity:
- The entry for Giganta (Dr. Doris Zeul) was fully rewritten for style (it was pretty bad), all the illustrations were rescanned, the history was extended to reach Flashpoint, and there are a few new illustrations. Since this entry is very popular it should have been done a long while ago but, well, stuff. It is now called Giganta (post-Crisis) to avoid confusion with other versions appearing post-Flashpoint or in the DC Legends continuity.
- I miss Human Defense Corps and it’s been ten years since that series. So the entry for Chaplain Charlie and its texts, stats and illustrations upgraded a bit.
- From time to time an entry pops up in the updates list without content change – usually it’s because I’ve change its name, and usually that’s because I forgot to list the actor for a TV/film character. The entry for the Greatest American Heroine is an example of such – though in this specific case I’m pretty happy of how the main shot now looks. It uses to be clearly low-res.
- The big entry for the Atomic Knights (1960 version) had its pictures processed per modern standards, but also had its texts revisited for style and brevity. Which might be the second such pass for this article, I’m not sure. Anyway, this is a cool entry and it has giant dalmatians.
- Lastly, the entry for the Creeper (1920s Parisian version) has been rewritten, upgraded and had its illustrations rescanned.
Headcount is now at 5,047.