I hope nobody will mind if we push more content online. In this batch:
- SMALL TECHNICAL THINGS. The annoying thing green line that was erroneously displayed on the results pages is finally gone. The main index accessed from the “Parse” button has been rebuilt since it was getting a wee bit wonky. Searching for dual-statted entries is now fixed, though we’re still working on the script that formats M&M stats.
- WONDER WOMAN. The WW entry for this arc is the renegade super-powered Amazon, Giuana.
- BEOWULF and WONDER WOMAN. Sitting ugly between these two arcs is the famous Grendel.
- RONNIETHUNDERBOLTS ART. Another small selection for this batch:
- LSH. The annoying text encoding issues that killed all quote marks and apostrophes in the Silver Age Saturn Girl entry has been fixed.
- CLAW THE UNCONQUERED. Mahan K’handa was a minor opponent of Claw – a mutated chaos sorcerer.
- REWORKS. The following entries have been extensively modified and improved:
- THUNDERBOLTS. Gareth’s arc continues with Mister X.
- A profile of the original Monster of Frankenstein by Mark and Mike, with an extensive DCU History section.
- INVINCIBLE. Bryan has two Invincible entries in this arc :
- DEADPOOL. Gareth’s Deadpool arc now includes one of the main enemies of Deadpool – T-Ray.
- UNIVERSE AZ. In this batch, Azrael presents the Sovereign – an evil Superboy.
- REWRITES. The following entries have received significant improvements to style, brevity and clarity :
For what it’s worth (namely, not much) we’re now at 4618 entries on the best green website you know of.
Once more unto the breach. Processing the shadow backlog is very slooooow since, well, it’s way more cost-effective to improve old material that’s already online where people can see it, than to go dig for old stuff that needs more work in places where people can’t see it.
Like the last one, this batch features entries that have upgraded illustrations. These are the same shots but scanned from a much higher-quality source — namely a trade paperback reprint rather than our old floppies. If you see illustrations on writeups.org you can improve on by scanning better printings such as TPBs, let us know !
While you rush to your scanner and stack of TPBs, here’s a nice batch with cool stuff:
- The entry for Deadly Nightshade has been almost entirely rewritten, and also updated, and also re-illustratated, and also has new kung-fu robots and stuff. She’s a good character.
- DEADPOOL. Gareth continues his Deadpool arc with Agent X. Everybody likes Agent X, right ?
- BEOWULF. The DC Comics version of the same, actually. As it turns out, we have two entries for the Prince of the Geats — one for the big guy himself, and one for his companions since cramming those in the same entry looked ugly.
- CALORIE QUEEN. Yes, we have a category of writeups that is titled “Calorie Queen”. Yes, that means that there are several writeups for Calorie Queen. And yes, it was absolutely indispensable.
- I think it’s the fifth time I make major improvements to the Bethany Cabe entry. Maybe the sixth. Anyway, fully rewritten for clarity, style and brevity – and updated to be current as to a few days ago. The illustrations have also been overhauled using the Demon in a bottle TPB rather than our old floppies. And thanks to Loki from marvunapp.com for pointing out that her name is still officially Bethany van Tilburg. Getting the name of the characters right is always a plus.
- A few details added to Rosie and the Demolition Team‘s history section as Blood Pack research led to a panel I had missed. A small clarification added to John Garrett‘s entry now that we know when Secret Warriors will end.
- The entry for Hacker (Jack Marshall) had the texts polished.
- Luke Cage got an extra banner illustration in the first writeup (the Hero for Hire one).
- The entry for Warhawk has been rewritten for style and clarity. Ditto for the entry of Sally Sonic from Seven Soldiers.
- Stiletto (Tom Stuart) and his brother Discus have been rewritten for clarity, have received extra art, have been updated a bit, etc.
- The famous Animals File now has upgraded stats for rats, and an upgraded layout overall
- Mongul‘s STR and and BODY had been lowered a tiny bit after additional research. Agent Taylor got her mysteriously missing Medicine skill.
- WARRIOR TALENTS. The Titan’s Grip talent should now function correctly with two-handed daggers.
- Crocodile Dundee was sorely missing, and Peter et al. have fixed that issue and reinforced writeups.org’s mateship quotient.
- XIII. With XIII and Jones revised, here is the first of two new XIII writeups – Agent Jessica Martin. She’s hot, and that’s a problem.
- SECRET SIX. Gareth is also working in a Secret Six arc, and it would seem that we’re pretty determined to cover every character Gail Simone ever wrote… In this batch, elite Turkish gunwoman Yasemine Soze.
- WHITE TIGER, BURNING RIGHT. There are four White Tigers in the Marvel Universe. That’s forty divided by ten, and that’s terrible.
And that’s 4,609 entries on WORG, which I’m sure has some sort of cryptic significance.
Older entries… let me tell you about older entries. I don’t like ‘em. The standard have strongly evolved over the years, and stuff that was just fine 10-12 years ago when the environment was Geocities homepages, Majordomo mailing lists and people jotting down stats from memory may no longer be satisfying for the teeming millions reading writeups.org.
So a lot of stuff got shot for this batch, and reanimated by our dark priests to serve as undead ninja warriors. Technically nothing in this batch is new, per se, but in practice that’s a lot of new, more interesting, better written, better researched, more accurate content. Roll call :
- Neutrax (chronology issue fixed by Chris in the History section, new Pérez illustration)
- ‘Cockroach’ Hamilton and his monster shotgun Josh (completely redone, no longer quotes from Marvunapp)
- Batwoman (new title for clarity, slight updates and polish, new gadget, completely new section about the previous Batwoman)
- Steve Trevor and Etta Candy (several illustrations replaces by visibly better versions thereof, thanks to Chris)
- Gnarth (text revised for clarity and style, much better illustrations)
- Queen of Chaldonor (text rewritten for clarity and style, much better illustrations)
- Copperhead (Lawrence Chesney) (completely redone, no longer quotes from Marvunapp)
- Ranagor (text revised for clarity and style, much better illustrations)
- Blistik (minor entry fully redone, no longer quotes from Marvunapp)
- Black Lotus (updated as per Shadowland appearances, rewritten, lotsa new art)
- Shades (rewritten for clarity and style, new information, new art) and Comanche (updated)
- Diamondback (Willis Stryker) (new title for clarity, revised for clarity and style, new information)
- Spear (updated and polished)
- Big Ben Donovan (completely redone)
- Cottonmouth (Serpent Society) (new title for clarity, rewritten for clarity and style, updated, new info)
- Monster Master (minor entry rewritten, no longer quotes from Marvunapp)
- Some minor typos fixed in recent rewrites.
Furthermore, Chris has spent some time with a scanner and his comics. New art for the following entries:
The headcount hasn’t changed – but the average quality has been bumped up a tiny wee bit and there are some damn cool characters in there. You should check ‘em out.