The 1986 Aliens movie is a cult classic military science-fiction and survival horror film. It was the follow-up the landmark 1979 Alien sci-fi horror movie.
This film had a strong impact on many Generation X nerd. The mix of high-octane manly shooting action, worn and credible sci-fi sets, near-future weapons and vehicles, alien monsters, brash attitudes, snappy dialogue, tough female protagonist, tight photography and direction, etc. was a rare treat back then.
Private Vasquez was one of the more memorable characters of the movie. She was played by Jenette Goldstein – who now runs a large-cups bra business , if you need one.
(FWIW the movie’s makers stated that they ended up casting a White woman in brownface since they couldn’t find a Latina actress who had strong presence, established acting chops and was sufficiently ripped. Moving on.)
- Real Name: First name unrevealed.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: Colonial Marine Corps.
- Base Of Operations: Mobile.
- Eyes: Brown. Hair: Black.
Powers and Abilities
Like her buddy Drake, Pvt. Vasquez is a quick, vicious, well-trained soldier.
She is younger than the rest. But Vasquez started getting combat experience from an early age in some dilapidatedWhen a structure was ruined by age and neglect., dystopic Los Angeles neighbourhood.
She is tough even by the standards of this group. Hard-muscled. Eyes cunning and mean. Thrown into the Marines from juvenile prison, she has now become a well experienced combat machine.
Colonial Marines are national, governmental troops. In an universe dominated by huge corporations and the private sector, that means lousy peacekeeping jobs, bug hunts and other unsavoury details.
Overextended, corrupted and under-equipped, the Colonial Marines have it tough. But then, that is part of what make them, in J. Burke’s words, tough hombres.
Vasquez come from a tough LA barrio. She was drafted from juve prison to be trained as an operator of the formidable smartgun.
Ms. Vasquez was part of the group that escorted Ellen Ripley to investigate the Acheron colony.
Her chest plate bears the inscription El Riesgo Siempre Vive (“Who dares, wins”, more or less).
Her smart gun has Adios painted on the receiver.
The observant will notice Loco written on the back of her shirt.
Vasquez enjoys being a marine. She loves the heat of the battle in an unhinged, adrenaline-craving, sexual kind of way.
Drake and Vasquez share a unique bond between them, exchanging a power grip after a rough yet playful conversation.
“Frat boy” Hudson : “Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man ?”
Vasquez : “No. Have you ?”
“Let’s RRROOOCK !!” (she and Drake open fire with their smartguns)
(Raising her smartgun) “Look man ! I only need to know one thing: where they are.”
(Asking about Ripley) “Hey, mira. Who’s Snow White ?”
“You always were an asshole, Gorman.”
DC Universe Adaptation
(This section proposes ways of using this character in DC Universe stories).
See my Elseworld Legion for a variant DC Universe that includes Colonial Marines in the 30th Century.
Alternatively, Vasquez would fit in well as a squad machinegunner in any modern paramilitary force. Especially the Human Defense Corps.
Or you could imagine a version of DooM with Vasquez replacing Doomguy.
DC Heroes RPG
|Dex: 05||Str: 04||Bod: 03|
|Int: 03||Wil: 03||Min: 04|
|Inf: 03||Aur: 03||Spi: 04|
|Init: 015||HP: 020|
Martial Artist: 04, Medicine (First aid): 03, Military science: 04, Vehicles (Land, sea): 04, Weaponry (Firearms, heavy): 05
Colonial marines (Low).
Familiarity (Military equipment and protocols), Lightning Reflexes.
- M3 PERSONAL ARMOUR [BODY 06, Flash (Illumination Only): 03, Skin Armor: 02, Limitations: Skin Armor can be avoided with a +2CS Trick Shot ; Vasquez’s armor includes the power harness for her M56 – while she wears it she suffers from a Misc. MPR – the harness is heavy and bulky and prevents her from performing some maneuvers, such as rolls].
- Combat Knife [BODY 05, Enhance (EV): 01 (Cap is 06), Descriptor: Piercing, Slashing].
- M4A3 Pistol [BODY 05, Projectile weapons: 04, Ammo: 12, R#2].
- Grenades (x2) [BODY 02, Bomb: 07, R#03, Grenade drawback].
- As a machinegun operator, Vasquez handles a M56 Smartgun [BODY 06, AV 07, Projectile weapons: 08, Telescopic vision: 03, Thermal vision: 09, R#03, Advantage: Autofire]. Old-school stats for the M56, I may revisit if a weapons locker article ever gets written for the Alien setting.
Source of Character: Aliens movie.
Helper(s): Roy Cowan, Pufnstuff, a long-since defunct University of Nebraska-Lincoln student page (http://cse.unl.edu/~jraises/aliens/a2vas.htm).