– Blurb on the Castle Grayskull boxed play set.
Introduced in 1983, the mystical Castle Grayskull is a core component in the He-man and the Masters of the Universe mythos.
For context, we suggest that you first read our primer to the Masters of the Universe cartoon setting.
Setting the mood while you read
Grayskull is considered a small keep.
Grayskull is surrounded by very little land that would be considered its own.
Temperate forest. The sky is usually overcast with a reddish tint.
Castle Grayskull sits in the Evergreen forest. The land directly around the castle is rocky and barren.
The Castle sits directly over a bottomless abyss. In the “Into the abyss” episode, it is revealed that it goes to the center of the planet.
Bottomless abyss – The source of Grayskull’s power is down there.
Acting as an “air moat”, the high winds make a descent quite dangerous even for flying characters.
Since it is a source of power and knowledge, both good and evil powers want to control it. Yet, most inhabitants of Eternia have no idea of what lies behind the castle’s ominous skull shaped entrance. Even King Randor seems oblivious. He calls it an old keep on the border of his kingdom.
No kingdom owns the castle. The only resident is the Sorceress of Grayskull.
The Spirit of Grayskull is a manifestation of the castle’s magic. Its role is as advisor to the current Sorceress. It acts to defend the castle and the Sorceress.
The Sorceress is in control of every aspects of the Castle.
The Castle doesn’t get involved in the law of the land. Villains defeated here are handed over to the Royal Family for sentencing.
For the most part the castle remains sealed to outsiders.
See the Masters of the Universe primer article for how Wealth is represented. The castle does nothing to support itself or its single inhabitant financially.
Grayskull, like the Royal Palace and Snake Mountain, has a mixture of magic and science.
Grayskull itself is a medieval style castle with the usual trappings. It also houses a sophisticated computer capable of control over some of the “Space Portals” within Grayskull. There is a memory projector like the one Duncan built.
Space Portals or dimensional openings are doorways to other places. This can be other dimensions, places on Eternia, or other planets. Some are constant and stable while other portals are fickle.
A castle was built long ago in Grayskull’s current location by the ape tribe. It was presumably used as a stronghold and at some point, abandoned.
Castle Grayskull wasn’t built over a bottomless gorge. Yet that’s where it rests in present day. The old castle has become a point of power, being a gateway to countless worlds and dimensions.
Throughout its history Grayskull has had a single keeper. A sorceress. When evil times come, a fighter for good is needed. Grayskull opens for the one destined to take on the role. The Sorceress and the Spirit of Grayskull work together for the good of all Eternia.
The Sorceress chooses a champion to wield the power of He-man. Currently it’s Prince Adam.
Sites of Interest
- The Jawbridge. The Castle’s drawbridge and only access point. It may be opened by answering a riddle given by the Castle itself. He-Man’s Power sword can be used to command the Jawbridge, Open. It can also be forced by those with sufficient strength.
- The Chamber of Life. It can heal even mortal wounds. However, the Sorceress stated the chamber’s magic is too dangerous for her to control. Using it is always a risk.
- The Hall of He-man. It is full of historic weapons.
- Living pictures. These windows show the history in moving form of anything that occurred in Eternia’s past. All the way back to the beginning of the universe.
- The Secrets of Castle Grayskull. A stone faced monolith is the guardian. Two doors stand behind it and after a question is answered one of those doors may be opened. Opening the wrong door means death!
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG
CASTLE GRAYSKULL [STR 08 BODY 20, Dimension Travel: 12, Enchantment: 04, Force Field: 04, Illusion: 08, Postcognition: 60, Precognition: 42, Remote Sensing: 14, Telepathy: 18, Time Travel: 24, R#0, Cost: 7,159].
Castle Grayskull has a Mana Factor: + 2 (DC Heroes: Magic, pg. 19 for rules covering Mana Factors for locations.)
Bonuses and Limitations:
- All powers are Mystic-Linked.
- Dimension Travel has the Location Jumping bonus (+100 BC).
- Dimension Travel is accomplished by opening doorways called Space Portals within Grayskull.
- Enchantment may only be used to enchant He-man or the Sorceress’s STR or SPIRIT, the Sorceress’ Intelligence, or the Sorceress’ Occultist skill (-1 FC).
- Enchantment added to Sorceress’ Occultist skill for Ritual casting is fatiguing (-1 FC).
- For Every AP of Enchantment used an AP is lost from Force Field (-1 FC).
- Force Field is otherwise always on (+0).
- Illusion may only be used inside the Castle (-1 FC).
- The Sorceress of Grayskull may use her own powers in conjunction with Grayskull’s Dimension travel and Time Travel, allowing her magic to affect things through Grayskull’s mystic windows.
- Remote Sensing may be used independently or the Sorceress may AP add her own Remote Sensing to the Castle’s.
- STR 08 represents the strength of the Jawbridge.
- Time Travel may only be used within Grayskull through a time corridor. It can only take travelers to a point in the past and back to the present (-1 FC).
Grayskull has a 06 AP Workshop.
The Castle’s powers are at the whim of the current Sorceress of Grayskull. She may also use her own powers through the portals.
There are many magical windows in Grayskull. Windows are like Space Portals but primarily for viewing. Here are a few:
- Time window – allows viewers to look into the past.
- Window of Knowledge – may be linked with only by the Sorceress of Grayskull gaining a boost in Intelligence while peering into it. See Enchantment.
- Window of Spirits – may be used to contact others like a two-way Crystal Ball.
The Spirit of Grayskull
The Spirit of Grayskull is a manifestation of the power behind the castle. It is at the helm, so to speak, of all the Castle’s actions. In most cases, the Spirit of Grayskull remains quiet only acting when called upon by the Sorceress.
It appears as a red ghost-like man’s head. The spirit is a 303 points Character, and only appears in the “Teela’s Triumph” episode.
|Dex: –||Str: –||Bod: –||Motivation: Upholding the Good/Evil|
|Int: 05||Wil: 05||Min: 04||Occupation: Advisor to the current Sorceress|
|Inf: 04||Aur: 03||Spi: 07||Wealth: 000|
|Init: 009||HP: 015|
Self-Linked Spirit Travel: 07
Bonuses and Limitations:
Self-Linked Spirit Travel is Mystic Linked.
Charisma (Intimidation, Persuasion): 06
Bonuses and Limitations:
Charisma is a Powered skill.
The Spirit of Grayskull doesn’t have a physical body.
At certain times, like when the Cosmic Comet was passing overhead, Castle Grayskull is weaker than at other times. The exact AP amount is unclear.
Source of Character: Filmation Presents 1983/1984 animated series He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.
Helper(s): he-man.wikia.com .
Writeup completed on the 28th of July, 2019.