This is a repository for spreadsheets and software used to create DC Heroes RPG characters.
One caveat. I — the editor — do not use character creation points, so I don’t use any of the tools below. Also, upon retiring I swore to Arioch I would never again install Excel on any of my boxes. So I can’t provide in-depth commentary.
1/ Mike Love’s executable
Historically, this has been the big one.
However, this is a 32-bit program, which means it’s no longer executable on modern OSes (unless you rock at emulation). That it no longer works has been the impetus for creating the other solutions.
2/ Erik’s Excel spreadsheet
This is an Excel 2007 spreadsheet for creating characters using the Blood of Heroes Special Edition rules.
There is also an equivalent for DC Heroes 3rd edition.
It should be fairly self-explanatory but here is a quick run-through.
- Enter your Hero Point Base in the field provided. It defaults to 450. The value entered will change the point values the bonus points for background, etc.
- Enter you Attributes and Wealth.
- Select Powers from the drop-down box. Enter the rank (between 1 and 50).
- Select or manually enter any limitations and then enter the combined factor cost decrease or increase. You can also select “Yes” from the drop-down box if you are linking or Mystic Linking the power. (The sheet does not check to make sure you have the rank set to the appropriate value for linking. You have to verify that yourself).
- For Skills, select from the drop-down box. Then enter the rank (again, between 1-50). The “# of subskills” field will be populated for you. In the “# of subskills taken” cell select the number you have selected and then enter them manually in the next cell. You can select “Yes” for linking or Intensive training.
- For Advantages and Drawbacks, simply select from the drop-down lists. Select “Yes” for Background, Description and Personality to receive the hero point bonuses.
I have also created a Gadget Builder on the second sheet. This works much like the character builder.
- Select Attributes. Select “Yes” from the drop-down boxes if the Attributes will be italicized (can be substituted for your own). Select “Yes” for Hardened Defenses if applying it to the BODY.
- Select a reliability # from the drop down box. This will adjust all factor costs.
- Select whether or not the gadget can be taken away in combat.
- Select Powers and Skills as per the character builder.
- The Drawbacks available are for Ammo as well as miscellaneous values.
- When you are done, you can enter the name of your gadget and the corresponding point cost in the Saved Gadget area. This will then transfer the name and point cost to the Advantage list on the character builder so you can select it and add it to the character.
3/ Paul’s Excel package
It was described as an “Excel-based DC Heroes character builder with automated character sheet generation” when uploaded.
Paul added : “There are already a few Excel-based character builders floating around. But I thought I’d try one using VBA macros so I could build in some extra functionality. Like automatically generating a character sheet. I’ve QA-checked this file myself a fair bit, but I’d appreciate any feedback from other users.”
“Note that this was built in Excel 2010 using macro-enabled file formatting. So if you’re using older software and/or your security settings won’t allow macros, you could experience limited functionality.”
4/ Ramese’s Excel spreadsheet
A single .xls document with four tabs. It includes a Gadget builder.
This .xls can also double as a character sheet. But Ramese notes that you may have to adjust the print area, then save that as a master copy.
5/ Mike Winkler’s Excel spreadsheet
A single .xls document with multiple tabs and functionalities.
Really, when it comes to the spreadsheets it’s best to check ’em out and see which one you prefer/feel best about customising.
6/ James’ executable
Our contributor James is working on a modern .exe solution when time is available.
It’s 64-bit and works on Win10, and all the way down to Win7.
If you want to help beta testing, you can get the current .exe on Google Drive .
Feedback can be posted on our discussion group . You need to register, but this is solely to keep automated spammers out. Just add a comment like “I have feedback about the char generator” when registering. You can also choose the “no e-mail” subscription if you prefer.