Demitrius and his pal Slasher appeared in a bizarre 1971 Marvel Comics crossover story.
This was an even stranger beast back then. Crossovers had been a thing since the 1940s, of course, but the age of the numerous crossover events was still many years away.
For the full context about these events, you should first read the character profile for Mister Kline the Assassin.
- Group Affiliation: Agent of Mr. Kline aka the Assassin.
- Base Of Operations: Mobile.
- Height: 5’8” (1.72m). Weight: 185 lbs. (84 Kg.).
- Eyes: Solid white. Hair: Black.
Powers and Abilities
Though the material is deliberately unclear on that point, we’ll assume that Demitrius was a sophisticated robot.
In his normal form, Demitrius has paranormal perceptions. He also seems to be a bit of an acrobat (the art in that panel isn’t clear). But otherwise, he’s useless.
Demitrius’ paranormal perceptions seemed to result from strange, highly experimental technology. They hindered him more than they helped. He often sensed relevant information, but it was way too vague and confusing to be actually useful.
After “the Change”, Demitrius became a giant. Two large bumps appeared on his forehead – from which long stalks with crab-like pincers emerged.
His strength greatly increased. He could also project powerful beams of pseudo-heat – or erect force shields.
Slasher and Demitrius were two (presumably robotic) agents of Mr. Kline, aka the Assassin.
They worked to ruin industrialist Tony Stark’s reputation, so the future from whence the Assassin came would never come to pass. Another target was the head of United Skyrise Incorporated (USI), Mr. Crandal.
Slasher and Demitrius covertly set up a sonic cannon to tracelessly collapse a building built by USI, so the company would be blamed. But Iron Man intervened, saving scores of lives.
Demitrius and Slasher also sabotaged Stark Industries’ K-X59 anti-missile cannon. The government investigation, under the Assassin’s covert control, showed massive faults in the work of both companies.
So long, Marianne
The Slasher and Demitrius started sabotaging said government investigation’s headquarters, but Iron Man interfered again. The Slasher couldn’t quite damage Iron Man. Then involuntary psionicPsionics are sci-fi style psychic powers. interference from Marianne Rodgers forced Demitrius to adopt his giant form.
Now irrational, Demitrius attacked Slasher as well as Iron Man. Eventually, Rodgers’ psionic distortion forced Demitrius into a catatonic state, and Iron Man finished the Slasher off.
What happened to the two operatives after their defeat is unrevealed.
Demitrius comes across as a ranting paranoid. He’s constantly in the grip of vague visions of doom.
He seems to be quite loyal toward Mr. Kline, and perhaps even scared of him.
The Slasher hates him and keeps verbally abusing him. Demitrius hates him in return and ceaselessly rants about it (and his visions, of course). But they have a job to do for their master.
“Slasher… we must hurry. Mister Kline gave us specific orders… it is time.”
“You — don’t understand. There is another mind — as powerful as mine… somewhere near here — Can’t control my thoughts.”
“It’s a girl… I see her face… blonde, long hair — her name… Slasher — I can’t stand it —! The —the ’Change‘ — it’s starting !”
(After the Change): “Yea… I am Demitrius — and I bring DEATH !”
DC Heroes RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
|Dex: 05||Str: 03||Bod: 04|
|Int: 04||Wil: 04||Min: 04|
|Inf: 03||Aur: 03||Spi: 03|
|Init: 012||HP: 030|
Energy blast: 14, Extra limb (x2): 14, Force shield: 05, Growth: 07, Precognition: 20
Bonuses and Limitations:
- Energy blast, Force shield and Extra Limb are Contingent Upon Growth and only appear when full APs of Growth are used.
- Growth takes two full Phases to activate, during which no Action can be performed.
- Demitrius is attacked by his own Growth Power (active APs as OV/EV against his BODY/BODY) whenever he goes from his giant form to his human form. That occurs on the following Phase, and will be his Dice Action. Since it occurs after he has deactivated Growth, it is only an attack against straight BODY and we don’t need to worry about Growth factoring into the OV/RV of BODY.
- Precognition is entirely controlled by the GM (FC 01), who usually uses it to make Demitrius sound like a ranting paranoid or advance the plot. Or both.
Acrobatics (Athletics)*: 05
Familiarity (Mister Kline’s technology).
Serious Psychological Instability.
DC Adventures RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
Demitrius — Averaged PL 9.4
Psychic ● 1 point ● Descriptor: Robotics, psychotronics
Precognition – Feature 1. Demitrius has seemingly accurate precognitions, but they are involuntary and vague. So it’s a very limited asset.
Giant form ● 35 point (Noticeable) ● Descriptor: Robotics, psychotronics
– Growth 8, Feature 4 (Active Defenses aren’t lowered), Quirk (can only engage full Ranks).
– Energy blasts — Ranged energy Damage 13, Limited 1 (only in giant form).
– Tentacle pincers — Enhanced Advantage (Improved Grab, Improved Hold), Limited 1 (only in giant form).
– Force shield — Impervious Protection 5, Limited 1 (only in giant form), Limited 1 (only covers one direction. By that I don’t mean that it only does song previously done by that boys band, if that’s ambiguous).
Defensive Roll 1.
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 6 (+7), Close combat (Unarmed) 4 (+7), Insight 3 (+4), Perception 3 (+4), Ranged combat (Energy blasts) 7 (+8).
|Unarmed +7, Close, Damage 1.|
|Unarmed (giant form) +7, Close, Damage 9.|
|Energy blasts (giant form) +8, Close, Damage 14.|
* Without Defensive Roll.
** With Growth (and Defensive Roll if applicable).
- Off his rocker Demitrius appears to be psychologically unstable, and is plagued by esoteric visions of the future.
- The Change Activating his Growth takes two rounds, during which he’s Defenceless, Stunned and Unaware.
- The other Change On the round after deactivating his Growth, Demitrius’s Toughness is attacked by his Ranks of Growth. This consumes a Standard Action.
- Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 11, Dodge/Toughness PL 10, Parry/Toughness PL 10, Fort/Will PL 09.
- Points total 94. Abilities 28, Defences 15, Skills 14, Powers 36, Devices 00, Advantages 1. Equiv. PL 7.
All PLs assume the giant form, since he’s otherwise nigh useless.
Source of Character: Iron Man v1 #041 (Marvel Comics).
Writeup completed on the 28th of June, 2010.