Duke Nukem was the “hero” of arguably classic shooting video games during the 1990s. This profile specifically represents him in 1996’s Duke Nukem 3D, and was done during the late 1990s.
Duke was a caricature, over-the-top version of a Hollywood/video game Adolescent Male Power Fantasy action hero. Duke Nukem and its ilk (such as Shadow Warrior) were going for the ironic bad taste thing.
- Real Name: Unrevealed.
- Marital Status: Presumed single.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: None. Owner of several business chains (Duke Burger, The Lady Killer Casino, Bootylicious Strip Clubs).
- Base Of Operations: Mobile.
- Height: 6’4” Weight: 240lbs.
- Eyes: Presumed blue (always wears shades) Hair: Blond
Powers and Abilities
Duke Nukem is a world-class arse kicker and action hero, as well as a certified world saver. He completed SEAL training, Ranger school, et. al. with flying colors ; trained in all types of combat and fighting ; and was a member of elite Alien Preparedness military force headed by General P. Graves.
More to the point, Duke is a goddamn MUNCHKIN ! Yep, he’s an uber munchkin, the ultimate power gamer, the epitome of twink cool. He’s got all the babes, all the guns, all the cool quips stolen from elsewhere and he’s unfraggable. He’s as tough as you can be in the game system under which he was developed.
Duke Nukem seems to be able to regenerate and recuperate from his wounds when he urinates. The source of this… puzzling and unusual ability is unknown.
His usual sidearm looks like an abnormally large Glock 17 – one can imagine that it’s a high-capacity .45 ACP model created as part of a marketing project between Glock and Duke Nukem. He is also frequently armed with a black Winchester 1300 Defender 12-gauge shotgun with no stock, a pistol grip and a tactical grip under the pump.
Heavier weapons, including various forms of alien weapons, are OSP (procured on-site).
Duke Nukem was the cream of the uber-elite Alien Preparedness team of the US Military. However, for undisclosed reasons, he chose to leave the military – but kept close contact with Graves.
He never hesitated to single-handedly intervene when alien invasion troubles arose, saving the planet several times – and making very sure that fact was highly public.
Admired and popular, he used his image to create a multi-million dollars business empire.
However, Duke Nukem, despite being a national idol and successful businessman, still single-handedly solves sticky situations when needed. He’s been described in this role as a cross between a vigilante and a public servant (as well as an occasional CIA one-man hit squad. Or rather hit platoon. Well, you get the idea).
He *always* wear those shades. Also, lots of macho swaggering and sexist rambling.
Duke is a man among men, king of the badasses, and a world savior. In fact, he has LOTS of ego. Appreciating life’s little pleasures, he enjoys Jack Daniels, numerous one-night stands with beautiful chicks, his collection of sports cars, Harleys and Hummers, and his huge collection of guns.
According to the copy, he’s the man American kids dream of becoming, and American women dream of taking to bed.
As is typical for many munchkins, while he has high INT and WIL for those skill bonuses, he doesn’t act like it at all. In fact he acts more like a vaguely psychotic killing machine, to be frank.
“Hail to the King, baby !”
“To know me is to love me, punk”
“I’m going to rip your head off and shit down your neck !”
“’I’m here to kick ass and chew bubblegum… and I’m all out of gum !”
“They’ve been messing with my ride (after having been shot down from the sky)”
“Come get some !”
“That’s gotta hurt.”
“Shake it, baby !”
“Your face, your ass, what’s the difference ?”
“I needed that.”
“What are you waiting for, Christmas ?”
“That’s one DOOMed space marine !”
“Nobody messes with my meat !”
DC Universe History
Superheroes rarely advertise their victory over invaders, so Duke and his ego cult could exist in the DCU, defeating some invasions and claiming credit for the rest. He would be mostly retired now, however – unless Duke Nukem Forever is ever released. 🙂
JK suggests : Duke’s adventures were originally supposed to be taking place in the near future, and his home base was the city of “Neo L.A.”. But that was largely ignored by the time of Duke 3D, and there’s no reason he couldn’t be running around in the current DCU, where his high-tech equipment is no better than anyone else’s.
He’d certainly have been active during such crossover events as Invasion and Bloodlines.
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG Print Friendly
|Dex: 07||Str: 04||Bod: 06||Motivation: Glory hound|
|Int: 08||Wil: 08||Min: 06||Occupation: Aliens buster|
|Inf: 09||Aur: 07||Spi: 07||Wealth: 014|
|Init: 028||HP: 070|
Acrobatics: 05, Charisma*: 09, Evasion (Ranged only): 08, Martial artist*: 07, Medicine (first aid): 05, Military science: 08, Vehicles: 06, Weaponry (firearms, heavy, exotic): 09
Attractive, Iron nerves, Lighting Reflexes, Omni-connection, Popularity, Expertise (alien races), Security Clearance (US government, Low), Shtick (Shotgun man, Wound Rejection (Low – although the condition is not an active Regeneration or Invulnerability Power, but urinating)).
General P. Graves (High), CIA (Low).
Arch-Enemy (Doctor Proton), MIA to macho stuff, Public ID.
- SHADES [BODY 06, Shade: 04].
- Large pistol [BODY 04, Projectile weapon: 04, Ammo: 12, R#2].
- Pump-action shotgun [BODY 04, Projectile weapons: 06 (Diminishing), Range: 03, Ammo: 10, R#03, Recommended STR: 02, Advantage : Scattershot, Limitation: Projectile weapons has No Range – use the Range given next instead, Drawback: Very long reload time].
- RIPPER [BODY 04, AV 05, Projectile weapon, Ammo: 06, R#2, Bonus : Projectile weapon can make Indirect attacks (by turning some corners) with an AV of 05].
- RPG Launcher [BODY 04, Projectile weapon (Area of effect 0 APs): 09, Ammo: 06, R#02].
- Pipe bombs [BODY 02, Bomb: 07, R#02, Bonus : detonated by remote control, Grenade Drawback].
- Trip bombs [BODY 02, Alert: 01, Bomb: 07, R#02, Bonus : Alert detonates the trip bomb, Grenade drawback].
- Shrinker [BODY 03, Shrink: 06, Range: 03, Ammo: 10, Limitation : Shrinks lasts for 6 Phases, R#3].
- Microwave expander [BODY 03, Cell rot: 09, Range: 05, Ammo: 10, R#3].
- Devastator [BODY 03, EV 09, Range: 04, Ammo 06, R#3].
- Freezer [BODY 03, EV 10, Paralysis: 10, Range: 03, Ammo 06, R#3, Limitation: cannot bring the BODY condition below 01 ; during the Paralysis, the OV/RV of the target is current BODY/current BODY instead of base BODY/current BODY ; all damage done by the Freezer, as well as the Paralysis effects, are automatically Recovered by the target after four Phases].
Note that Duke normally only has his shades and pistol – and maybe his riot gun. All other weapons tend to be acquired from the fuming corpses of his opponents. Other toys in Duke’s boundless arsenal include :
- JETPACK [BODY 06, Flight: 02, R#4].
- Steroid Pills [BODY 01, /STR/ 05, Running: 04, Limitation: Catastrophic Power Burnout, Bonus: Will instantly negate the effects of the Freezer.].
- Holo-Duke [BODY 03, Illusion: 05, R#4, Limitation: Can only create a stationary image of Duke].
Source of Character: Duke Nukem 3D (1996 video game). Duke voice by Jon St. John.