Powers and Abilities
The suit had the following capabilities, as described by Tony Stark (parenthetical comments added by author):
- Mesh webbing for gliding short distances.
- Heat-resistant kevlar microfiber that can resist small-caliber bullets (getting shot with a pistol stung but did not injure Spider-Man, the round flattened against the armor and then dropped to the ground rather than ricocheting).
- Built-in fire, police and emergency scanner.
- audio and visual amplification including infrared and ultraviolet (sound amplification was high enough to let Spider-Man hear the heartbeat of someone he was questioning).
- Oxygen filters to keep out toxins and allow underwater breathing.
- A short-range GPS microwave communication system.
This is all routed through a computerized control system in the titanium chestpiece.
The costume received 2 upgrades shortly thereafter.
First, the liquid metal nanofiber it was made of was reprogrammed to change its surface coloration and retract based on the wearer’s thoughts. This has thus far been used to:
- Mimic other Spider-Man costumes’ appearance.
- Assume camouflage patterns.
- Turn invisible.
- Retract the costume so that the wearer appears unclothed (apart from whatever normal attire he is wearing).
It is likely that none of the suit’s abilities are useable in the retracted mode.
Second, the suit now has 3 extendable arms (each approximately 6’-8’ in length) with cameras in the tips. Though Stark stated the mechanical arms were too fragile for routine combat, the sharpened tips are hardened and can strike hard enough to pierce Titanium Man’s armor without damage to the arms themselves.
The default look for this costume is a metallic red skin-tight suit covering the entire body with eyepieces, ankle and shin bracers, and a stylized spider symbol on the chest, all in gold.
The retractable arms are not tentacles such as Doctor Octopus’s, but rather are long thin stalks with numerous universal elbow joints (three to five, depending on the artist).
The suit can adjust to mimic background colors or other Spider-Man costume patterns as well as turning Spider-Man invisible.
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG
SPIDER-MAN STARK COSTUME [BODY 10, Blunting: 06, Chameleon: 04, Extended Hearing: 04, Extra Limbs (x3): 06, Flame Immunity: 04, Gliding: 04, Invisibility: 08, Radio Communication: 08, Sealed Systems: 06, Sharpness: 04, Telescopic Vision: 04, Thermal Vision: 07, Ultra Vision: 07].
Bonuses and Limitations:
- Chameleon only allows suit to change surface color patterns — suggested uses have been mimicking other Spider-Man costumes or acting as camouflage (-2FC).
- Extra Limbs are retractable — when not activated they are hidden inside the costume (-1FC).
- Sealed Systems is ineffective versus Radiation (-1FC).
- Sharpness only applies to the Extra Limbs (-1FC).
Insta-Change (note: none of the suit’s abilities can be used while “retracted” via Insta-Change), Miscellaneous (The Extra Limbs have cameras in the tips, allowing the wearer to see through them. This may be most commonly used to see around corners and the like without exposing the wearer; 5 points).
The lenses of the costume might provide Shade.
Most of the AP levels are rough guesses, since very few of these abilities have been depicted in detail, at least in the issues in question.
Source of Character: Amazing Spider-Man #529-531, Sensational Spider-Man #26-27.
Helper(s): Kal-El el Vigilante, Sébastien Andrivet.