Powers and Abilities
The Jester is trained in boxing, acrobatics, body building, swordsmanship and a host of other physical skills. These make him a somewhat effective and skilled hand to hand opponent.
Most of the danger he poses, however, comes from his arsenal of odd gadgets.
Jonathan Powers was certain that he was a great actor. But in reality was quite mediocre and too much of a glory hound. Although he once managed to get cast as his favourite role ever, Cyrano de Bergerac , in an off-Broadway company, the performance went very badly. He was fired.
Considering it a mortal insult to his nonexistent talent, Powers started training better for the part.But he concentrated on physical skills such as fencing and acrobatics rather than acting training, which he was certain he did not need. During those years, he only found a role as a stooge in a bad children show. Powers started to seriously snap.
Deciding the world had enough of a laugh at his expense, and that he would now laugh at it, he had an arsenal of gadgets built by the Tinkerer. Powers started wearing a strange harlequin-like costume while performing crimes.
Surely you just
Quickly reaching full-blown lunacy, he launched himself in a criminal cum dark humor comedian career. His rep grew. He was hired several times to discredit Foggy Nelson during his political campaigns, or his ally Daredevil (once framing DD for the “murder” of Jonathan Powers).
After many encounters with Daredevil, and working with such villains as Cobra and Mister Hyde, the Jester ultimately recovered his sanity. This occurred when, as Jonathan Powers, he could finally play Cyrano on TV – and performed admirably and to critical acclaim. His moving performance vindicated him, and he never wore the Jester togs again.
However a new Jester has since appeared, using Powers’ gadgets and style.
The Jester finds the world harsh, cruel and absurd. And now, he’s harsh, cruel and absurd at the world. He assures his goal his to bring comic relief and comedy to the world, but he’s really a psychopath who laughs maniacally as he unleashes his deadly toys against his victims.
Like many costumed madmen, he likes to threaten his opponent’s sanity through clever manipulations and proving *his* demented point of view is right.
DC Universe History
The killer clown/harlequin is of course already taken in the DCU. An interesting idea, given the charisma of the Joker and the dread he inspires, would be to have a cult-like network of copycat killers and psychos styling themselves after the Joker, and using the Jester costume and equipment. They are coordinated, given info and provided equipment to by an unknown party.
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG Print Friendly
|Dex: 06||Str: 04||Bod: 05||Motivation: Psycho|
|Int: 06||Wil: 05||Min: 03||Occupation: Criminal|
|Inf: 06||Aur: 04||Spi: 05||Wealth: 006|
|Init: 020||HP: 050|
Acrobatics*: 06, Animal handling (horses): 02, Artist (actor): 02, Martial artist*: 06, Weaponry (melee): 06, Weaponry (exotic): 08
Connoisseur, Iron nerves.
MIA toward dark comedy themes, MPI, Minor Rage.
- BODY ARMOR [/BODY/ 06, Sealed systems: 08].
- The Jester has an astounding array of death-dealing gadgets, all based on a comedy theme. Classic gadgets include :
- Steel yo yo [BODY 08, EV 03 (05 w/STR, 07 w/Martial Artist), Sonic beam: 06, Stretching: 00, /STR/05, Limitation : /STR/ only while Grappling, by using the yo yo as a garrotte, Sonic beam has No Range].
- Box of marbles [BODY 02, each Phase spend on spilled marbles involve a DEX/DEX roll against 05/05 or falling].
- Box of popcorn [BODY 01, Fog: 06, Poison touch: 09, Bonus: Poison touch is active thorough the Fog, Limitation: Poison touch is Bashing. Sometimes this is not a box of explosive popcorn with knockout gas, but rather a Frisbee emitting sleep gas. Once the gas directly came from his gloves].
- Exploding balls [BODY 03, Bomb: 04, Ammo: 06].
- Extending hand [BODY 04, Lightning: 06, Stretching: 02, Limitation : Lighting has No Range, Stretching has no defensive bonus. Sometimes used to deliver a bomb – a heavy black sphere clearly marked “BOMB”, with a non functional fuse, with Bomb: 06. Alternatively, the hand can be fired using a small compressed air canon, as Projectile weapon: 04, only one shot].
- Polymer juggling balls [BODY 06, EV 05].
- Miniature robots [DEX 02 STR 01 BODY 03, Eye of the cat: 08, Omni-arm: 02, Limitation: Eye of the cat is used on themselves to provide a view for a remote controller with the proper equipment].
- The Jester once used the Foolkiller’s disintegration ray, but that was atypical.
Source of Character: Daredevil comics.