Before reading this profile, be sure to peruse :
- First, the Ages of DC Comics article. Unless you’re well familiar with all the Crisis and alternate Earths stuff.
- Second, our “base camp” profile for the pre-Crisis Earth-3 Crime Syndicate of America. It explains all the context, so this profile doesn’t have to.
- Real Name: Unrevealed.
- Marital Status: Unrevealed, presumed single.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: Crime Syndicate of America.
- Base of Operations: Eyrie of Evil, Palisades Mountain, USA, Earth-3.
- Height: 5’8″ Weight: 135 lbs.
- Eyes: Unrevealed Hair: Unrevealed.
Powers & Abilities
In addition to moving at superspeed (in DC Heroes RPG terms Running and Superspeed), he :
- Can generate wind currents by waving or spinning his arms (Air Control).
- Can pass through solid objects by vibrating his molecules (Dispersal).
- Can use his superspeed to cause objects he’s touching them to vibrate unto destruction (Vibe).
His powers seem to stem from his Speed Helmet. The Helmet’s origins and functions were never explained. It may be mystical since the Wizard (W.A. Zard) of Earth-1 used the Speed Helmet, Superwoman’s magic lasso, and Power Ring’s magic ring as energy sources for a spell.
Whether Johnny Quick has a connection to the Speed Force is unrevealed. It was many years before this was introduced in the stories, and this version of Quick had long since been retconned away by the Crisis back then.
Johnny Quick also seems competent with vehicles. He was the one who took the controls when the CSA stole a JLA space shuttle.
See the Crime Syndicate of America (pre-Crisis Earth-3) team profile.
Johnny Quick is a White male of average height and build.
He wears a red bodysuit with cowl, along with yellow boots and gloves. His chest emblem is two lighting bolts starting at his shoulders and meeting just below his sternum, forming a V shape.
The costume is topped with Quick’s Speed Helmet, a sleek red helm with lightning bolt ornaments sweeping back over each ear.
Quick had a backup helmet that he once used when his primary helmet was stolen. That helmet was yellow with small discs running in a line over the top from one ear to the other.
Quick’s favorite activity was to run into places and steal valuables right in front of the hapless security guards’ eyes.
He reveled in his superspeed a little too much. Quick was often defeated by foes simply tripping him up or throwing obstacles in his path.
Johnny prefers to use his Air Control so he can fight at a distance. Through super-speed attacks would be more powerful, he’s reluctant to get close enough that he might be punched. He can’t really be called a coward but he’s… averse to being beaten up.
He’s also something of a bully. Remember what your dad told you about fast men !
“Power Ring, use your green beam ! Get us outta here — and pronto !”
“Get away from those controls, chump ! I’m running this show now…”
“Creepo, you just made the mistake of your life ! You made me mad !”
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG Print Friendly
Johnny Quick (pre-Crisis Earth-3)
|Dex: 05||Str: 03||Bod: 04||Motivation: Mercenary|
|Int: 04||Wil: 04||Min: 05||Occupation: Supervillain|
|Inf: 04||Aur: 04||Spi: 05||Wealth: 006|
|Init: 013||HP: 030|
Accuracy (Air Control): 07, Vehicles: 04
Expansive HQ (Eyrie of Evil).
Crime Syndicate of America (High).
SPEED HELMET [BODY 12, Air Control: 08, Dispersal: 10, Enhanced Initiative: 06, Running: 18, Superspeed: 14, Vibe: 12, Bonuses & Limitations:
- Air Control, Dispersal, and Vibe are all Contingent Upon Superspeed.
- Superspeed does not add to Initiative.
- Superspeed cannot replace the AV or EV of Perception Checks.
- Vibe has a Range of Touch (-1FC).]
These stats are closer to the Mayfair statting approach than the writeups.org one. So they assume heroic values, rather than the numbers demonstrated in the story.
This is in part to keep Roy’s old estimates whilst rewriting the entry many years later. And in part since, as a Silver Age character, Johnny Quick and his ilk work fine with cookie-cutter, highballed stats. These do not interfere with the four-colour stories they appear in.
Quick’s so-so Attributes and limited Hero Points limit him in a serious fight. He could deliver high-EV Superspeed attacks, but their AV will likely be too weak. And vice versa. His Air Control offer him a more balanced, ranged approach.
Two exceptions to his reluctance to close in were :
- Punching low-RV targets (ordinary soldiers) using his Superspeed as AV to Multi-Attack.
- Using his Vibe touch on Power Girl, who was caught flat-footed in close quarters.
Source of Character: Pre-Crisis DC Comics (and scattered post-Crisis stuff).
Writeup completed on the 23rd of September, 2019.