FWIW, the Werewolf fought Krogg not too long after fighting Kraig. Bit of a theme, here.
- Real Name: Krogg, presumably.
- Marital Status: Unrevealed if applicable.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: None.
- Base of Operations: Krogg was trapped for centuries in a cave in California wilderness.
- Height: Overs 3 metres Weight: About 600kg
- Eyes: Black iris, red pupil, red or yellow eyeball. Hair: White fur, all over.
Powers & Abilities
Krogg is a disembodied entity. However, he can possess living beings, then mutate them into something resembling his baseline form within a day.
In baseline form, he possesses immense strength (about “Class 25”). He could also withstand hunting rifles (presumably firing .30-06 rounds). The Werewolf by Night only managed to harm Krogg once, by dropping onto his back by surprise and clawing and biting as deeply as he could.
Krogg can also belch mystical fire, dragon-style. It is capable of obliterating solid rock.
- Krogg cannot feed or heal like Earth animals do. He has to absorb life force, which means that he must regularly kill living beings to stay alive and/or heal his wounds. However he can “hibernate” for centuries if there are no life forces to be had.
- If Krogg finds himself in a closed space where he cannot simply walk out (*without* using his strength or powers) he cannot do anything to free himself. He’s trapped until an opening appears. This is essentially a geas .
- Krogg cannot possess a living form if said entity can be said to have two spirits, even if that description is a bit of a stretch. Or… maybe he simply lacked the strength to possess the Werewolf by Night, who has a (small) degree of spiritual resistance.
- Lastly, this demon isn’t nimble. He seems about as fast, agile, skilled, etc. as an average man whose exposure to exercise comes from watching ESPN .
Krogg was summoned to Earth by a warlock, pharmacist and idiot named Amos Treach. Since that happened in California and Treach presumably came via the California Trail (as opposed to being a Spanish settler ), this likely took place after the 1840s.
Krogg couldn’t be contained. He left and started killing to sustain itself, savaging several people. Determined to atone for his mistake, Treach built a stout door within a nearby cave, and tricked Krogg into entering. The pharmacist then shut the door, trapping the demon thanks to Krogg’s mystical weakness.
(One gets the impression that Treach sacrificed himself by also locking himself into the room. Presumably, his deception involved luring Krogg into possessing him, then slamming the door shut. However, the art gives the impression that Treach lured Krogg in, slammed the door after him, then sat there and starved to death because of reasons.)
In 1973, Jack Russell found the cave. Hearing a moan within, he forced the door open. Krogg’s immaterial form attempted to possess him, but that didn’t work on werewolves – who had a human spirit and an animal spirit. Not realising what had just happened, Russell found and read Treach’s strange diary.
Na na na naaa, hey heeyyy hey, goodbye
Krogg instead possessed a poor, nearby rabbit. Over the following day he mutated the cute lil’ rabbit into his own hulking form, presumably killing animals to gain mass. He then stumbled upon the Werewolf by Night.
The two monsters fought for a while. The Werewolf was far weaker, but markedly more nimble and evasive. He even wounded Krogg, but the demon slew two hunters to replenish his life force. Eventually, Krogg forced his foe to flee.
The Werewolf ran into the cave where Krogg had been imprisoned. He then tried to run out, but Korgg was already there. The werewolf clambered over and past him, and when Krogg attempted to blast the lycanthrope with his fire breath he triggered a landslide. Caught under tonnes or rocks, the demon was once again trapped in the cave.
However, Krogg turned his body back into the lil’ rabbit, which was small enough to crawl out of the rubble. The demonic leporidae sinisterly scurried into the haunted night… and was never seen again.
Perhaps it ran into a mystical defender. Or perhaps it simply ended at the wrong end of an owl. Owls are cool.
He talks in a supernatural, extremely loud voice.
Krogg presents himself as a noble soul, only doing what he must to survive and behaving with honour. For all we know, this is true by his dimension’s standards. From a more local point of view, though, this is laughably hypocritical.
Thus, in practice, he’s like any other pompous, wordy, savage, murderous demon full of pride and hatred. I bet he doesn’t even have a favourite Bananarama song . Wotta jerk.
“KROGG IS INDEBTED TO YOU, LITTLE ONE — AND KROGG SHALL REPAY HIS DEBT — BY MAKING YOUR DEATH MOST MERCIFULLY SWIFT !”
“INSOLENT CREATURE –! HOW AM I TO KILL YOU IF YOU WILL NOT REMAIN STILL ?”
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG Print Friendly
|Dex: 02||Str: 10||Bod: 08||Motivation: Power|
|Int: 04||Wil: 02||Min: 04||Occupation: Demon|
|Inf: 06||Aur: 04||Spi: 06||Wealth: N.A.|
|Init: 012||HP: 020|
Flame Project: 11, Growth: 03, Self-Link (Personality Transfer): 03, Skin armour: 02, Suspension: 10, Vampirism: 05, Zoomorph: 01
Bonuses and Limitations:
- Flame Project must be readied using an Automatic Action before it can take a Dice Action. It is Minimal Marginal.
- Flame Project has a Range of but 03.
- Growth is Always On and Already Factored In.
- Personality Transfer OV/RV are both raised by 1CS against anything that can be said to have “two spirits”.
- Skin armour only vs Ballistic damage.
- Vampirism has no Range, and each roll takes 5 Phases. Thus, it is normally used against an unconscious, immobilised or dying target.
- Vampirism can be used to turn any host body into a body with the Physical Attributes and Powers above. Assuming an area with abundant large and small game that’ll take 12 hours or so.
- Zoomorph only to revert to the natural form of the creature possessed using Personality Transfer. Such a creature is strictly limited to its baseline Physical Attributes and Powers, though it can use Vampirism. It will have its normal APs of Growth or Shrinking even if these exceed the APs of Zoomorph.
Martial artist (AV): 05, Occultist: 04
Strange Appearance, Serious Rage, SPR (Krogg can only heal or sustain himself through Vampirism), Misc.: cannot escape if trapped in a closed space.
Source of Character: Werewolf by Night Vol. 1 #8.
Writeup completed on the 17th of December, 2017.