See the team profile at the hyperlink above for more context.
- Real Name: Unrevealed.
- Reported Relatives: Rose Canton, a.k.a. the Thorn (mother, deceased), Jennifer “Jennie” Lynn-Hayden, a.k.a. Jade (half-sister, deceased), Todd Rice, a.k.a. Obsidian (half-brother).
- Note: None of the references I found for Mayflower’s family associations cited the source that this information came from. So the Reported Relatives section should be considered tentative (and likely entirely apocryphal).
- Group Affiliation: Force of July.
- Base Of Operations: Mobile.
- Height: 5’5” (1.65m). Weight: 115 lbs. (52 Kg.).
- Eyes: Blue. Hair: Light Brown.
Powers and Abilities
Mayflower has the ability to control plants, animating them and causing them to instantly grow to large sizes as suit her purposes.
Her ability to manipulate plant life is so extensive that Mayflower could:
- Fly by creating “platforms” of enlarged leaves or clumps of greenery and making them soar through the air while riding upon them.
- Make plants manifest themselves in places they were not normally present. Such as creating redwoods in a forest far away from any location where such trees were already growing. Or causing vines to explode out of the floor of a base deep underground.
She is also sensitive to the status of nearby plant life even when not directly controlling it. She once detected Geo-Force’s approach to the ASA’s hidden base because the heat generated by his flying ability burned some of the local vegetation when he landed.
Her connection to the vegetation she was directly manipulating was so great that damage to those plants resulted in a psychic backlash.
For the history of the Force of July, see our main article. The following sections start where the Force of July History section ended.
Though the Force of July was dead, their legacy was revived by a new team, Freedom’s Ring, which included several successors to the members of the Force of July. Mayflower was not one of those successors.
This is likely because her abilities were innate rather than the product of the ASA’s research. Therefore, the US government lacked the knowledge to duplicate them.
Mayflower is a petite White lass with straight shoulder-length hair.
Her costume is a stylized version of a stereotypical American pilgrim’s outfit:
- A black button-up long-sleeve shirt with white lapels and cuffs.
- A thick brown leather belt with square gold buckle, worn over the shirt.
- Brown pants tucked into purple calf-length leggings.
- A black cape with purple lining.
She speaks with a heavy British accent complete with cliché “Cor Blimey!” diction.
When Mayflower uses her powers, her hands glow.
Mayflower’s bitterness over her rejection in her homeland fueled her devotion to the ASA, whose director accepted her and gave her both a home and a purpose.
Her dedication is so strong that she overlooks contradictory behavior. Such as Director Blairman’s castigating Geo-Force’s foreign accent and the “foreign blood” of Black Lightning and Katana while Mayflower herself is an immigrant with a pronounced English accent.
Her psychic bond with plants extended to an emotional one as well. She referred to them as if they were her beloved pets or even her children. This affiliation may have been furthered by the isolation she would have felt from her exile, strengthening her devotion to that which made her special and had a deep connection to her.
Katana: “Release me, witch !”
Mayflower: “No need t’get abusive, mum… you can call me Mayflower !”
“‘Freak,’ guv’nor ? That’s what they called me back in England, too — They shunned me, wanted nothin’ to do with me, so I came ’ere, then Mr. Blairman found me ! He took me in, made me feel wanted ! I work for ’im now an’ anyone who gets in his way answers t’me !”
DC Heroes RPG
|Dex: 04||Str: 02||Bod: 03|
|Int: 04||Wil: 03||Min: 04|
|Inf: 03||Aur: 04||Spi: 03|
|Init: 011||HP: 030|
Alert: 08, Chemical Attack: 08, Fabricate: 08, Flight: 06, Plant Control: 08, Plant Growth: 08
Bonuses and Limitations:
- All Powers are Elementally Linked (-1FC each).
- Alert is only used to inform Mayflower of damage to plant life within the radius of the Power, including the type of damage (-2FC).
- Chemical Attack is not emitted by Mayflower herself but rather an Plant Growth-enlarged flower spraying pollen (+1FC).
- Fabricate can only be used to create plants – treat these as non-Take Away artifacts (as they are rooted in the ground) with no stat other than BODY (-2FC).
- Flight can only be used if Mayflower has a clump of plant life to ride on (-1FC).
- Mayflower will generally only use Fabricate to create a BODY 02 plant (allowing higher RAPs on the Fabricate roll and thus maximizing the duration of effect) and then apply Plant Growth to enlarge it.
Government Credentials (American Security Agency, Medium).
Force of July (High).
Exile (England, Forced), Miscellaneous (Mayflower is psychically bonded to the plants she controls; if a plant she is animating takes damage, she suffers a Mental Bashing attack using the RAPs of attack against her plant as AV/EV and INT/MIND as OV/RV).
DC Adventures RPG
Mayflower — Averaged PL 4.6
Phytokinetic ● 23 points ● Descriptor: Mutant
– Senses 4 (Ranged Detect, Extended 1 – Plants being damaged or killed, Feature – can sense nature of damage).
– Create 2 (Continuous, innate, Subtle 2, Limited 2 to plants).
– Array (all require significant plant mass to work, and have the Feedback Drawback if the plants used as a medium are damaged):
- Pollen spray — Affliction 9 (Dazed, Stunned, Unaware – resisted by Fortitude), Accurate.
- Levitating plant mass — Flight 5.
- Plants that hit people — Damage 7, Accurate.
- Plants that snare people — Affliction 9 (Hindered & Vulnerable, Defenceless & Immobile, Cumulative, Extra Condition, Limited Degree, Accurate, resisted by Dodge).
- Flash-growing nearby plants — Environment 3 (Movement 1, Visibility 1).
Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 1.
Benefit 2 (American Security Agency backing).
Athletics 2 (+2), Insight 2 (+3), Perception 3 (+4)
|Unarmed +5, Close, Damage|
|Phytokinetic Array +7, Close, effects by application.|
* Without Defensive Roll.
- Greenwashed Mayflower’s Phytokinetic Array requires significant plant mass nearby to operate. But this is seldom an issue given her Create.
- Brexit Mayflower cannot return to the UK.
- Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 8, Dodge/Toughness PL 4, Parry/Toughness PL 4, Fort/Will PL 3.
- Points total 58. Abilities 16, Defences 11, Skills 4, Powers 23, Devices 0, Advantages 4. Equiv. PL 4.
Source of Character: DC Comics.
Helper(s): Chris Cottingham, Capita Senyera.