Mer-Man appeared in the 1983-1984 cartoon series He-man and the Masters of the Universe. He’s an evil warrior working with Skeletor against He-man.
If you’re not familiar with this universe, you should first read our Masters of the Universe setting primer.
Mer-Man did not appear in the She-Ra animated series. He could have challenged Mermista.
- Real Name: Mer-Man.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: Skeletor’s Warriors.
- Base of Operations: Snake Mountain. The Crystal Sea is his home territory.
- Height: 5’10” (1.78m). Weight: 200 lbs. (91 Kg.).
- Eyes: Black. Hair: None.
Powers & Abilities
Mer-Man is half-man half-fish. Being amphibious gives him an advantage when fighting under water.
Proficient with magic, he’s also versed in the use of most technology.
Like Beast-Man, Mer-Man may telepathically control beasts. His power is limited to sea creatures.
But He-man was there waiting for them. Mer-Man was quickly disarmed and tossed in a nearby mud pit. He then rejoined his defeated crew.
Later on, Teela traveled to the Oracle of the Crystal Sea. Skeletor spotted her on his crystal ball. Mer-Man demanded revenge on Man-At-Arms. He would capture Teela, Man-At-Arms’ adopted daughter, and sacrifice her to Bakkull.
But He-man and Battle-Cat arrived in time to save Teela.
No one is a match for Mer-man underwater
He would meet He-man and his friends many more times. Sometimes, Skeletor teleports Mer-Man out when things go wrong. Other times he leaves him to find his own way home.
Skeletor usually orders him to guard the lower portions of Snake Mountain. If there is water on a mission Skeletor sends Mer-Man.
Half-man and half-fish. Mer-Man has a fishy head with fins. His mouth is broad filled with sharp teeth. His skin is a dark blue-green with a fishy smell.
He speaks in a gargling voice.
Mer-Man wears a yellow chest-plate. His boots and gloves are also yellow. His barbarian fur shorts are orange.
Mer-Man doesn’t carry a weapon unless his task requires it. He prefers medieval style melee weapons.
If the script requires it, Mer-Man will unintentionally leave behind seaweed.
Mer-Man can be a brute, laughing when besting opponents. Yet he is cowardly when he is on the losing end.
His relationship with Skeletor is an odd one. Of all Skeletor’s warriors, Mer-Man is one of the originals but also the most ignored. Maybe because he is almost always paired with Trap-Jaw or Beast-Man. Mer-Man works well with anyone but prefers being on his own.
Like many of Skeletor’s warriors, Mer-Man began as a competent agent in his own right. After some time working for Skeletor, he lost his self-confidence and fell to the role of cowering lackey.
If Mer-Man has a friend among the evil warriors, it’s Beast-Man.
Mer-man: “I beg you Skeletor. Let me deal with [Teela] ! Years ago, her guardian, Man-At-Arms, rescued a victim I had chosen for the Sea Demon. I now demand revenge !”
Skeletor: “So be it !”
Mer-Man: “After them !”
(Flying machine stalls)
Mer-Man: “What’s wrong ?”
Trapjaw: “Your seaweed gummed up the controls again.”
Trapjaw: “Now what ?”
Mer-Man: “I’m getting a distress call from my Spidersaur.”
Trapjaw: “That old man and boy couldn’t beat that thing.”
Mer-Man: “Turn around, turn around. It was He-man who did it.”
(While in the Desert of the Sands of Time)
“It’s too dry for me here.”
Mer-Man: “Ah, look at them. The Widgets are probably laughing at me.”
Trapjaw: “Haha, if they’re not, I am. He-man hit your great indestructible monsters and sprung, sprung. Hehe. Wait till I tell Skeletor.”
Mer-Man: “Stop talking you metal mouth, I have to think.”
Trapjaw: “Haha, sprung, sprung.”
Mer-Man: “Be quiet !”
DC Universe Adaptation
(This section proposes ways of using this character in DC Universe stories).
Mer-Man would attempt to wrest the throne of Atlantis from Aquaman.
He could also be a Deep Six ally.
DC Heroes RPG
A 525 points Character (Without equipment).
|Dex: 04 (05)||Str: 07||Bod: 05|
|Int: 03||Wil: 04||Min: 03|
|Inf: 03||Aur: 04||Spi: 03|
|Init: 010 (011)||HP: 050|
Animal Control: 04, Animal Summoning: 05, Claws (Teeth): 02, Super Hearing: 03, Swimming: 05, Telepathy: 10, Water Freedom: 05
Bonuses and Limitations:
- Animal Control works only on sea life, including razor-fish and krakens (-2 FC).
- Animal Summoning may summon any sea life (+1 FC).
- Telepathy only allows Mer-Man to communicate with marine creatures under his control (-1 FC).
Expertise (mechanics, mathematics), Financial Backer (Billionaire – Skeletor).
Skeletor (Low), Villainous Warriors (Low).
- Sword [BODY 04, Enhance (EV): 02 (cap is 06), Descriptor: Slashing, piercing, R#0, Cost: 12].
- Iron Spear [BODY 04, Enhance (EV): 02 (cap is 06), Descriptor: Bludgeoning, Piercing, Bonuses and Limitations: Bludgeoning has Limited Penetration, R#0, Cost: 12].
- Energy Trident [BODY 08, Enhance (EV): 01 (cap is 05), Descriptor: Bludgeoning, Piercing, Energy Blast: 05, Bonuses and Limitations: Bludgeoning has Limited penetration,R#0, Cost: 40].
- MANTA RAY SUBMARINE [BODY 12 STR 10, Swimming: 05, Water Freedom: 06, R#5, Cost: 137].
- Drilling Projectile [BODY 04, Digging: 10, Flight: 05, R#5, Cost: 39]. It is fired from the sub. Its trajectory must be input before firing.
- Telescoping Flying Probe [BODY 04, Flight: 05, Swimming: 05, Telescopic Vision: 05, R#5, Cost: 32].
- MECHANICAL SEA MONSTER (X2) [BODY 12 DEX 04 STR 10 INT 01 WIL 01, Init 005, Claws (Teeth): 12, Swimming: 04, Water Freedom: 04, R#5, Cost: 171]. Mer-Man used mechanical sea monsters late in the series.
In the episode “Teela’s Quest”, He-Man threw Mer-Man to the ground from the top of a cliff.
Mer-Man formed himself into a ball. He hit the ground, rolled about ten feet, came out of the roll directly to his feet and made his getaway. Hence the high Acrobatics (Athletics) skill.
Mer-Man says he caused tidal waves to ruin the people’s crops. He is never shown using a power to control water, so I assume he used a Ritual to perform this feat (“The Shadow of Skeletor” episode).
The Mer-Man action figure came with a yellow serrated sword. It never appeared in the animated series. However, if you must have it, use the same stats for his Sword above adding Sharpness (Sword EV): 01.]
Source of Character: The 1983/1984 animated series He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Voiced by Alan Oppenheimer.
Helper(s): Wikipedia, He-man and She-Ra – A Complete Guide to the Classic Animated Adventure, Sébastien Andrivet.
Writeup completed on the 1st of January, 2019.