This is the final third of a series of small profiles. Which should be read in order.
- The “most powerful android” form. Start there.
- The Negative Zone scavenger form.
- The Monster Android form. This here writeup.
The Thing’s nicknames for it this time were “stand-in for the Son of Kong”, “green gills”, and “tall, dark and hairy”.
When the MPA-in-Scavenger-form used the Cosmic Control Rod, it turned into a different form.
- It looked different from either previous form. Though it still was a green humanoid, so there’s that.
- Its programming flipped back to its original, Mad Thinker one. The first thing it did was thus to contact its creator for new orders.
(The new, vaguely leonineRelated to lions appearance is interesting. Like with Blastaar and the Baluurians (good name for a rockabilly band, incidentally), it evokes the looks of the Tyannians. These are the species that built Annihilus’ tech and seeded the Negative Zone with life.)
Meanwhile, the Thinker considered taking over the Zone to raise an army. But he soon decided to just fly the android back to Richards’ portal, and take control of the Baxter Building.
Most everything went wrong :
- Being allied with Annihilus, the male FF returned from the Negative Zone much faster than planned.
- Susan Storm-Richards also came in, escorted by Tigra (Greer Nelson) and Thundra of Femizonia.
- The Brute — the evil Reed Richards from Counter-Earth — was working within the real Reed’s lab.
- Exposure to the Cosmic Control Rod gave free will to the Android. It now refused to obey anyone, and thought that everyone wanted to enslave him.
The Thinker discreetly left. Meanwhile, the FF took down the Android. Then, the Brute leapt into the Negative Zone with the Rod.
What happened to the Android is unclear. My guess is that the Thing, irritated by having to clean up the demolished labs, ended up dumping destroyed equipment (and the android) through the Negative Zone Portal.
Which is how the MPA popped up again during the Annihilation War.
Powers & Abilities
The Monster Android is about 70 feet (21 metres) tall.
In its newfound occupation as a space kaijuJapanese term for a rampaging giant monster, like Godzilla., it has different abilities :
- Great superhuman strength. However, the Thing could survive its blows without wounds. This suggests it can’t be much higher than “Class 50”.
- Great durability. Even the Thing couldn’t land a telling blow at first. But the Brute (Reed Richards) could, as did Thundra.
Still, it took highly coordinated attacks by the Thing, Thundra and supporters to beat up the Monster Android.
- A huge tail, used for sweeping attacks. These attacks aren’t powerful. It’s like being punched by Jay-Z, give or take. But they come very quickly and can easily swat multiple persons.
This tail vanished between issues. We’ll assume it just was a mistake due to the creative turnover.
- Fast flight. An enthusiastic pink caption states it’s the “speed of light”, but that seems quite exaggerated. Calm down, pink caption.
- The Monster Android somehow knew what sort of cosmic energy would switch off the Brute’s super-strong form. Our game stats *assume* that the monster can deduce its opponents’ weakness, because that’s interesting. But it’s based solely on that one panel.
Radio, someone still loves you
Like most creations of the Thinker, the Android has a radio link that is compatible with the Thinker’s “bionic radio” technology.
Amazingly, that works even across dimensionsOther realms of existence that are not our universe – it could place a call from the Negative Zone.
This comlink comes with some sort of projector to display a gigantic version of the Thinker’s face. He can hear, see and speak through this projection.
The Android wore Annihilus’ Cosmic Control Rod. It was used :
- To emit the cosmic rays that switched off the Brute’s form.
- *Perhaps* to increase its flight speed, thus impressing the pink caption.
- *Perhaps* to increase its size, since on some panels it’s closer to 25 or even 30 metres (80 to 100 feet).
The creature now talks ! Not much, but it talks.
It also has a personality of sorts, namely being very angry. Alas, YouTube didn’t exist yet to monetise that.
He was paranoid, considering that everyone wanted to reduce him to servitude. This evokes Annihilus’ obsession about everyone wanting to steal his Rod and his immortality.
DC Heroes RPG
“Charlie” in bearded mega-form
|Dex: 05||Str: 12||Bod: 17|
|Int: 02||Wil: 02||Min: 04|
|Inf: 03||Aur: 01||Spi: 04|
|Init: 014||HP: 025|
Damage capacity (All): 08, Extra Limb: 06, Flight: 08, Growth: 12
Bonuses and Limitations:
- Extra Limb can only execute Flailing Attacks and Planned Knockback. However, these can also be Sweeping Attacks (from Growth).
- Six APs of Growth are Always On and Already Factored In.
- The other 6 APs of Growth, if engaged, have but cosmetic effects. *Except* when it comes to interacting with obstacles and collisions, and to increasing its mass.
Martial Artist: 06, Scientist (Observation): 07
Life Support (Full), Lightning Reflexes.
Strange Appearance, SIA toward Paranoia.
- BUILT-IN COMMS [BODY 01, Radio coms: 22, Bonuses: Radio coms is Encrypted and Transdimensional].
- Cosmic Control Rod (partial use) [BODY 20, Energy blast: 12, Enhance (Flight): 03 (cap is 15), Bonus: Energy blast can change to any Energy Descriptor with but an Automatic Action].
That it’s no longer Self-Link (Gadgetry)-based and has Mystical Attributes is something of a leap of faith.
Source of Character: Fantastic Four Vol. 1.
Helper(s): None. Nobody wants to help the Most Powerful Android. And that is terrible.
Writeup completed on the 1st of January, 2020.