Nox is an obscure opponent of Batman & the Outsiders. But unlike most of her colleagues, she returned after their 1984 debut story.
She’s conveniently generic and undetailed, *and* she’s part of a themed team (Antaeus, Argus, Diana, Proteus, Vulcanus). So having notes for these guys sounds good to us.
Greek without a paddle
I’ve realised just now that our New Olympians short articles all assume a decent level of Ancient Greek mythology knowledge. Which on second thought is a weird assumption. So :
- Nox (or Nyx in Greek – Νύξ) means “night”. She’s the goddess of the night, and was born in the primordial chaos before the world.
- Antæus was a towering demigod who lives in Northern Africa. He famously fought Hercules. Antaeus was inexhaustible as long as he was in contact with the ground.
- Argus Panoptes was a giant with a hundred eyes, who could see everything.
- Diana is the Latin name of Artemis (Ἄρτεμις). A lunar goddess of the hunt, wilderness, archery, etc..
- Proteus was an early god of water, with an ever-changing, fluid nature.
- Vulcanus was a Roman evolution over Hepæstus. A god of fire, blacksmithing, and volcanoes.
- Real Name: Unrevealed.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: New Olympians.
- Base Of Operations: Unrevealed.
- Height: 5’7” (1.70m). Weight: 130 lbs. (59 Kg.).
- Eyes: Red. Hair: Black.
Powers and Abilities
Nox can fly, and can emit a dark energy from her hands.
The latter isn’t unlike the Green Lantern energy, but what she can do with it is much less subtle. It is usually limited to giant hands.
The New Olympians are a group of mortal supervillains who were given their abilities by the Monitor.
They were assembled by Maxie Zeus to assault the 1984 Olympic Games in L.A., with President Reagan in attendance.
Batman intervened and challenged the New Olympians to compete with his Outsiders in a variety of contests.
Nox challenged Halo to a gymnastics contest. They were tied until Batman jumped’s Zeus plan. Halo thus had to incapacitate Nox with a flare of her yellow aura.
Months later, Nox appeared among Circé’s army of super-villainesses. Though they took control of New York City, they were dispersed by a counter-force led by Wonder Woman.
In 2008, the New Olympians were seemingly slain. But with her loosely-defined darkness powers, Nox might return.
Nox seems particularly bitter about beautiful women.
She speaks in an elaborate way.
“There are no judges for you to flirt with, as the pretty ones always have… I’ve always lost to the pretty ones – until now !”
“Silence, you simpering fool !”
DC Heroes RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
|Dex: 05||Str: 04||Bod: 05|
|Int: 04||Wil: 04||Min: 04|
|Inf: 04||Aur: 03||Spi: 05|
|Init: 013||HP: 020|
Stretching: 02, Omni-arm: 07, Flight: 07
Bonuses and Limitations:
Stretching has no defensive component (-1). On the other hand it’s energy rather than her limbs, making her less vulnerable than textbook Stretching.
Maxie Zeus (Low).
Distinct Appearance, Attack Vulnerability (-1 CS OV/RV vs sunlight-based attacks), MIA toward humiliating and defeating pretty women.
The Omni-Arm is a bit generous. But there isn’t enough material to get a solid sense of her flexibility, and Omni-Arm happens to be a simple and fun Power.
Also, just giving her Omni-Arm makes the stats much simpler than a more limited alternative would, so let’s uncharacteristically be generous. A bit.
In general, the New Olympians stats are more done in a Mayfair style than a writeups.org style. These are older stats, about characters for whom there isn’t much information, so riffing off similar characters in the game books seemed safer.
DC Adventures RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
Nox (New Olympians) — Averaged PL 6.8
Flight ● 12 points ● Descriptor: ?
Solid darkness ● 16 points ● Descriptor: Darkness
Move Object 6, Damaging, Quirk 2 (Range is reduced to 1 Rank).
Close Attack 3, Defensive Roll 2.
Acrobatics 5 (+9), Athletics 5 (+7), Close combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7), Deception 1 (+2), Insight 2 (+3), Perception 3 (+4), Persuasion 1 (+2), Ranged combat (Solid darkness) 6 (+7)
|Unarmed +7, Close, Damage 2.|
|Solid darkness +7, Close, Damage 6.|
* Without Defensive Roll. All scores assuming that his Power is active.
- Merc for Money Nox works for dangerous people – and some, like Maxie Zeus, are unstable.
- Vulnerability Toughness, Fortitude and Will get a minus 4 against sunlight-based attacks.
- Looks can kill Nox is out to defeat and humiliate pretty women.
- Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 07, Dodge/Toughness PL 07, Parry/Toughness PL 06, Fort/Will PL 06.
- Points total 92. Abilities 30, Defences 17, Skills 12, Powers 28, Devices 00, Advantages 05. Equiv. PL 7.
Source of Character: Batman and the Outsiders #14-15.