This article is about a frame fighter in the Warframe video game. Some other articles might be best read before it :
- The article presenting the Warframe setting, if you aren’t familiar with the game.
- The “base camp” article about what warframes are and how they work. This one is recommended even if you’re well familiar with the game. It has the design notes, for starters.
Oberon is a generalist warframe, offering a balanced mix of endurance and offense. And no, there is no known link with the Titania warframes.
His theme is that of an ancient nature priest – perhaps a druid type. Oberon primarily wields energy fields that resemble chthonic fire, as if drawing power from the very ground.
“Sacred fire”, “hallowed light” and other mystical-sounding descriptions refer to the high-energy radiation mixes deployed by Oberon. These energies are known to cause optical illusions, confusion, blurred vision and spasms even in organisms with high tolerance to radiation, such as the Infested.
Oberon-class warframes sport decorative horns on their helm. A common shape for these led to Oberon frames being nicknamed “space antelopes”.
The most distinctive abilities of Oberon warframes are :
- Good general durability. They aren’t the tankiest warframes, but they’re still tougher than the average.
- Ranged “smiting” attack using “hallowed light”. A good weapon is likely a better choice than smiting, but this power also produces small seeking projectiles. These do not inflict tremendous damage, but they can irradiate and confuse opponents.
- Having large patches of ground radiate energy for a while. These damage and irradiate enemies whilst overclocking warframes’ damage management systems, making them deal better with the consequences of attacks.
- Creating a stationary energy field with regenerative effects. We can imagine that it overclocks nanoscale repair bots commonly found in warframes and their allies, and that these are also available in short-lived drinkable form. Say, during rescue operations.
- Oberon’s master attack seems telekinetic in nature. It lifts multiple opponents in the air then slams them down against the ground – which resembles some Mass Effect biotic techniques. But it also produces a blinding flash of light.
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG Print Friendly
DEX 08 STR 07 BOD 10
Cling: 04, Damage capacity: 12, Gliding: 02, Invulnerability: 12, Jumping: 03, Radio communications: 16, Running: 06
Bonuses and Limitations:
- Cling can only be maintained for 3 Phases (if running) or 1 Phase (if stationary).
- Cling doesn’t work on surfaces at more than a 100° angle from the ground (such as ceiling, or protrusions along walls).
- Gliding can only be maintained for 3 Phases.
- Invulnerability – see below.
- Jumping has the Catfall Bonus.
- Radio coms includes video. It also allows The Lotus to anchor her Eye of Cat Power to a warframe. It usually links to the Orbiter and/or Landing Craft, which acts as a relay to the network.
Darkness: 06, Energy blast: 08, Enhance (Physical RV): 01 (cap is 13), Flash: 06, Mental blast: 11, Projectile weapons: 06, Regeneration: 10
Bonuses and Limitations:
- Darkness is selective.
- Enhance can be Combined with Regeneration, enhancing all its beneficiaries.
- Flash can be Combined With Mental Blast.
- Mental Blast is Minor Marginal.
- Mental Blast has a 1-AP selective Area of Effect.
- Projectile weapons can be Combined with Energy Blast, and it has Multi-Attack 2. However it cannot attack the same target(s) as Energy Blast.
- Regeneration is Minimal Marginal.
- Regeneration has a selective 2-AP Area of Effect. However, it is stationary.
Acrobatics: 07, Medicine (First aid): 05, Thief (Security systems, Stealth): 06, Vehicles: 07, Weaponry: 08
Bonuses and Limitations:
- Medicine applies to warframes without penalty.
- Medicine can be Combined with Regeneration. All Regeneration beneficiaries can thus receive First Aid at no Action cost.
Area Knowledge (Real-time mapping and positioning), Leadership, Schtick (Paired weapons (all), Fast-Draw (all)).
SHIELDING [BODY 02, Damage Capacity: 08, Bonus: Damage Capacity has Instant Recovery].
Invulnerability has Ammo: 04. The Hidden Messages quest in the game implies that it as a shorter range than most Transference functions, but there’s no other context. Maybe 100M kilometers (41 APs) – it’s a round, reasonable number.
If you are using our hypothesis that “revives” mean supercharging the Infestation within, each use would make the warframe visibly more overtaken by the Infestation. It would then have to be scrubbed and repaired in the orbiter’s “Infestation seat”.
This assumes some sort of Rage mod, taking care of most energy needs. It is also more slanted toward a Rejuvenate/Hallowed Ground tanking Oberon, rather than a Reckoning-heavy build. Since it’s what I usually play.
The effects of radiation are done here as Darkness, rather than as a mind control sort of thing. This is a small flourish for variety’s sake. It also assumes that many opponents, when caught in the Darkness, will shoot blind at what they think are threats. So this could end up being quite a close equivalent of a Warframe Radiation status.
I also went for something soft and system-integrated with using Medicine (First Aid) for status nullification. The harder method — Neutralize — was used when modelling Titania. This is in part since DCH doesn’t have much in terms of “status effects” – unlike, say, M&M 3rd with its many Conditions.
Source of Character: Warframe vidjagame.
Writeup completed on the 21st of April, 2019.