And mine and mine and mine !
Not yours !”
[Not the actual Orange Lantern Oath, but it’s Larfleeze’s, so good luck trying to take it away from him]
This profile is for a generic Red Lantern Power Ring, representing the emotion of avarice.
It is a companion profile for the Power Rings main article, which you should totally read first.
Powers & Abilities
The Orange Power Ring, and its force constructs, can absorb most energies sent against it. It dissolves most force constructs on contact (apart from violet and blue energy), and even absorbs magical attacks.
The Ring allows its wielder to create force constructs of orange energy. These usually take the forms of those whose lives the wielder has stolen. This can either be one gigantic construct, or an army of them.
The wielder (currently Larfleeze) can create so many of them because he carries his Power Battery around with him, with Ophidian trapped inside it. It serves as an additional power source that boosts his Ring’s regular charge (to 7839% at one point).
Since Larfleeze gained possession of the Orange Power Ring and Lantern there’s been no regular recruitment. He has a large cache of Orange Power Rings but these have been forced into dormancy. Previously it targeted those who exhibited excessive greed. In DC Heroes RPG terms, possibly an appropriate IA would attract it, or a Mercenary or Power Lust Motivation.
With Larfleeze wearing the Orange Ring, it now recruits by stealing the appearance and powers of those he’s killed with it. He then manifests them as Orange energy constructs with the approximate personality and abilities of the victim.
Exemplars of the traits the Orange Power Rings look for include Larfleeze (sector 2828), Lex Luthor (sector 2814), and Glomulus (sector 2826).
It’s difficult to know for certain how much it influences wielders. Larfleeze’s innate greed was enough to overwhelm Ophidian, the Orange Entity, and imprison him in the Lantern.
His innate greed may well have been exacerbated by the Ring, so it’s possible the Ring enhances the greed of the wielder. In DC Heroes RPG terms it may increase the severity of their IA.
When the ring was removed at one point, Larfleeze didn’t want it back. He didn’t want to return to what it’d made him.
This changed once he again wore the Ring, and he returned to his regular state of greed. So it’s possible his innate greed diminished while wearing the Ring. Without other Ring wielders as evidence most of this is speculative.
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG
ORANGE POWER RING (A 4893 HP Gadget)
INT 06 /BODY/ (Hardened) 12 BODY 30.
Animate Image: (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs), Comprehend Languages: 20, Detect (Superior candidate for Orange Lantern recruitment): 05, Dimension travel (Storage Tesseract): 01, Energy Absorption: (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs), Flight: 40, Force Manipulation: (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs), Life Sense: 15, Miniaturisation: 10, Neutralize: (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs), Regeneration: 04, Sealed Systems: 16, Skin Armor: 04, Telepathy: 05
- Animate Image is User-Linked to (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs).
- Energy Absorption is User-Linked to (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs).
- Force Manipulation is User-Linked to (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs).
- Neutralize is User-Linked to (AUR + Power Ring Skill APs).
Bonuses and Limitations:
- None of the Powers has an AV (-1 or -0 Drawback, depending on house rules) – use the relevant Accuracy Skill instead.
- Animate Image can only animate images Force Manipulation creates of the wielder’s victims, and can act independently of the wielder resisting their orders (although he can dismiss it at will) (see below).
- Detect has a special +75 Range Bonus, and can only be used upon the death of the wearer, to scout for a successor (though Acuity could be used to perform similar scans in less dire circumstances).
Detect itself will scan for quantitative aspects such as the relevant Power Link Skill, Attribute, Advantages, but the process also allows for benchmarking against an exemplar to determine ethical suitably. This exemplar is programmed in the rings, but this is not a flawless process and sometimes it can authorise persons who aren’t that right.
- Dimension Travel (Storage Tesseract) can hold a Power Battery.
- Energy Absorption also affects magical attacks, and has the Indirect Bonus via force constructs.
- Force Manipulation can be, and usually is, used to mimic Split with the Exponential Split and No AP Loss Bonuses, creating multiple avatars resembling victims of the Ring wielder (it can only create so many avatars using the Power Reserve of the Battery).
- Force Manipulation has a +40 Range Bonus, allowing the wielder to control them over galactic distances.
- Life Sense is limited to detecting active Orange Power Rings, and has a +30 Range Bonus.
- Neutralize has the Indirect Bonus, working through force constructs, and affects the force constructs of other Power Rings (apart from Blue, Orange, and Violet Rings) which are attacked by the Orange Ring’s constructs.
- Telepathy cannot be used to engage in mental combat – only for communication, often helped by the ring’s Comprehend Languages, has a special +75 Range Bonus.
- CIA (Avarice & hunger)
- Power Loss: The ring runs out of charge after roughly 24 Earth hours of fairly heavy use. When the ring’s charge is exhausted, all Powers go to zero until recharged. The ring provides updates as to its charge status (usually as a percentage) whenever requested or when passing certain thresholds.
- Gradual Power Loss: Mental conditions that make it difficult to accurately visualise force constructs drastically lower the efficiency of the ring. These include psychoactive drugs, neural scrambling, inner ear scrambling, some sonic attacks, etc..
Any RAPs from such an effect means an immediate Gradual Power Loss of (RAPs+1) Columns on all of the ring’s Powers, as long as these effects are active. In the same spirit, RAPs from Mental and Spiritual attacks are subtracted from the EV or RV of any power ring use during the next Dice Action.
Power Battery (A 556 HP Gadget)
[BODY 30, Power Reserve (Ring’s Powers, wielders Physical and Mystical Attributes): 10, Remote Sensing (uses Force Constructs as conduits, increasing the Range): 05].
Larfleeze usually only uses his Power Ring to create an army of ’Orange Lanterns’ taking the appearance, and sometimes personality, of his victims. Functionally this is usually just a special effect of his Force Manipulation.
It’s bolstered by the Power Battery, without which he can’t maintain so many of them for a long period.
Even with the Battery he’s limited in how many he can call by the APs of Force Manipulation, and without the Battery their Duration is determined by the APs of (Exponential) Split used.
Should he wish, though he rarely does, Larfleeze can also restore more of their original personality and dispatch them on missions, even where he can’t observe them. This is achieved using Animate Image to give them Mental Stats.
The Ring uses 1 AP of Force Manipulation (which is tied up until the independent agent is dismissed) to create an image of the Lantern. So far Glomulus is the only one we’ve seen, and he actively resisted Larfleeze’s orders, so while they generally obey him, the restoration of part of their personality makes it harder for him to control them.
Source of Character: DC Comics.
Helper(s): Peter S Piispanen, Sébastien Andrivet, Eric Langendorff, Francisco, Roy Cowan, Adam Fuqua.
Writeup completed on the 11th of October, 2013.