This minor character clashed with Marvel Comics’ Master of Kung Fu in 1981.
And he had to have a profile ! Because Oryx is a clear homage to Bruce Lee student Kareem Abdul Jabbar . Specifically, his distinctive movie appearance in Game of Death.
- Real Name: Unrevealed.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: None.
- Base Of Operations: Mobile.
- Height: 7’2” (2.18m). Weight: 220 lbs. (100 kg.).
- Eyes: Brown. Hair: Black.
Powers and Abilities
Oryx is a competent martial artist, mercenary and agent.
He’s also really, really tall.
If you want this character to more closely resemble Hakim (Abdul-Jabbar’s character in Bruce Lee’s Game of death ), or Abdul Hakim (an echo of that character in the fan-favourite Cowboy Bebop animé), his martial abilities would need to be upped considerably.
In DC Heroes RPG terms DEX 06, Martial artist: 07, BODY 05 would be good.
Oryx is an international mercenary. His nickname likely comes from a species of antelope . Possibly because of his long legs.
In 1981, he was working for Yugoslavian Communists. He and several goons were sent to recover a small red book. It contained the secrets of the madman Samisdat, including the details of his secret laser satellite.
Oryx defeated CIA agent Rufus Carter by sucker-stabbing him in the guts. But he was then swiftly defeated by Carter’s ally Shang-Chi, who recovered the book.
Ironically, the book was now useless. Samisdat had been defeated and the laser satellite destroyed by Shang-Chi weeks before.
Big enforcer and underworld mercenary type.
He calls most every guy “little man”.
DC Heroes RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
|Dex: 05||Str: 04||Bod: 04|
|Int: 04||Wil: 03||Min: 03|
|Inf: 04||Aur: 03||Spi: 03|
|Init: 015||HP: 015|
Bonuses and Limitations:
Growth is Always On and Already Factored In.
Charisma (Intimidation): 04, Martial artist: 05, Vehicles (Land, sea): 04
Mercenary world (Low).
Creepy Appearance (size).
- Shades [BODY 01, Shade: 01].
- Hidden knife [BODY 05, Enhance (EV): 01 (Cap is 06), Descriptor: Piercing].
DC Adventures RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
Oryx — Averaged PL 5.4
|2 (3)||2 (3)||2||1|
Big Man • 4 points • Descriptor: Size
– Size — Growth 1, Innate, Permanent.
– Little Man? — Enhanced Skill (Intimidation 2).
Close Attack 3, Defensive Roll, Power Attack, Quick Draw.
Athletics 2 (+5), Deception 1 (+2), Expertise: Criminal 4 (+5), Expertise: Mercenary World 4 (+5), Insight 2 (+2), Intimidation 1 (+4), Perception 4 (+4), Persuasion 1 (+2), Sleight of Hand 2 (+3), Vehicles (Limited 1 to land and water) 4 (+5).
Hidden knife Strength-based Damage 1, Improved Threat • 2 points
Shades Feature (+2 circumstance bonus on defense against bright light) • 1 point
|Unarmed Close, +8, Damage 3|
|Knife Close, +8, Damage 4, Threat 19-20|
* Without Defensive Roll.
- Greed Oryx is a dedicated mercenary.
- Appearance Oryx is easy to spot.
- Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 6, Dodge/Toughness PL 6, Parry/Toughness PL 6, Fort/Will PL 4
- Points total 63. Abilities 28, Defences 12, Skills 12, Powers 4, Devices 0, Advantages 7. Equiv. PL 5
- If you want to have somebody more closely resembling Hakim (Abdul-Jabbar’s character in Bruce Lee’s Game of Death ), or Abdul Hakim (an echo of that character in the fan-favourite Cowboy Bebop anime), his martial abilities would need to be upped considerably. Add maybe 2 each to Fighting, Dodge, Fortitude, and Defensive Roll.
- As a skilled mercenary, he may have other traits not reflected above. Some skill with firearms is a plausible guess.
Source of Character: Master of Kung-Fu comic book (v1, #96).
Helper(s): M&M stats by Pawsplay.