This minor character clashed with Marvel Comics’ Master of Kung Fu in 1981.
- Real Name: Unrevealed.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: None.
- Base Of Operations: Mobile.
- Height: 7’2” (2.18m). Weight: 220 lbs. (100 kg.).
- Eyes: Brown. Hair: Black.
Powers and Abilities
Oryx is a competent martial artist, mercenary and agent.
He’s also really, really tall.
If you want this character to more closely resemble Hakim (Abdul-Jabbar’s character in Bruce Lee’s Game of death ), or Abdul Hakim (an echo of that character in the fan-favourite Cowboy Bebop animé), his martial abilities would need to be upped considerably.
In DC Heroes RPG terms DEX 06, Martial artist: 07, BODY 05 would be good.
Oryx is an international mercenary. His nickname likely comes from a species of antelope . Possibly because of his long legs.
In 1981, he was working for Yugoslavian Communists. He and several goons were sent to recover a small red book. It contained the secrets of the madman Samisdat, including the details of his secret laser satellite.
Ironically, the book was now useless. Samisdat had been defeated and the laser satellite destroyed by Shang-Chi weeks before.
Big enforcer and underworld mercenary type.
He calls most every guy “little man”.
DC Heroes RPG
|Dex: 05||Str: 04||Bod: 04|
|Int: 04||Wil: 03||Min: 03|
|Inf: 04||Aur: 03||Spi: 03|
|Init: 015||HP: 015|
Bonuses and Limitations:
Growth is Always On and Already Factored In.
Charisma (Intimidation): 04, Martial artist: 05, Vehicles (Land, sea): 04
Mercenary world (Low).
Creepy Appearance (size).
DC Adventures RPG
Oryx — Averaged PL 5.4
|2 (3)||2 (3)||2||1|
Big Man • 4 points • Descriptor: Size
– Size — Growth 1, Innate, Permanent.
– Little Man? — Enhanced Skill (Intimidation 2).
Close Attack 3, Defensive Roll, Power Attack, Quick Draw.
Athletics 2 (+5), Deception 1 (+2), Expertise: Criminal 4 (+5), Expertise: Mercenary World 4 (+5), Insight 2 (+2), Intimidation 1 (+4), Perception 4 (+4), Persuasion 1 (+2), Sleight of Hand 2 (+3), Vehicles (Limited 1 to land and water) 4 (+5).
Hidden knife Strength-based Damage 1, Improved Threat • 2 points
Shades Feature (+2 circumstance bonus on defense against bright light) • 1 point
|Unarmed Close, +8, Damage 3|
|Knife Close, +8, Damage 4, Threat 19-20|
* Without Defensive Roll.
- Greed Oryx is a dedicated mercenary.
- Appearance Oryx is easy to spot.
- Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 6, Dodge/Toughness PL 6, Parry/Toughness PL 6, Fort/Will PL 4
- Points total 63. Abilities 28, Defences 12, Skills 12, Powers 4, Devices 0, Advantages 7. Equiv. PL 5
- If you want to have somebody more closely resembling Hakim (Abdul-Jabbar’s character in Bruce Lee’s Game of Death ), or Abdul Hakim (an echo of that character in the fan-favourite Cowboy Bebop anime), his martial abilities would need to be upped considerably. Add maybe 2 each to Fighting, Dodge, Fortitude, and Defensive Roll.
- As a skilled mercenary, he may have other traits not reflected above. Some skill with firearms is a plausible guess.
Source of Character: Master of Kung-Fu comic book (v1, #96).
Helper(s): M&M stats by Pawsplay.