Paintball appeared but a few times in 1999 and 2000.
He was an early enemy of the Star-Spangled Kid (Courtney Whitmore), who would eventually become Stargirl.
Many characters from this book were never seen again. Which is odd, since their creator Geoff Johns went on to become a major writer then higher-up for DC Comics.
- Real Name: Paul Deisinger.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: Former agent of the Dragon King.
- Base Of Operations: Blue Valley, Nebraska.
- Height: 5’9” (1.75m). Weight: 170 lbs. (77 Kg.).
- Eyes: Brown. Hair: Brown.
Powers and Abilities
Paintball seems made of some sort of living, dense, viscous paint.
This “paint” does not seem fully material. It is charged with energy, and evaporates within minutes.
He can project splashes of “paint” from his body. Certain effects seem loosely associated with certain colours. Observed effects are:
- Lifeforce drain (in DC Heroes RPG terms, Vampirism and Colour) – green. This effect drains both the lifeforce and the colour away from the person, leaving them (and their clothing) completely white. Colour is regained as vitality is recovered, and the clothing follows suit.
- Force (STR and Stretching) – magenta. These splashes are used to club and push back.
- Electricity-like shocks (Lightning) – orange or yellow. This paint crackles loudly, emits sparks and destroys stuff.
- Telekinetic redirection of the trajectory of moving objects and persons (Deflection/Reflection) – yellow. A yellow field manifesting around his hands.
- Laser-like beam – yellow or orange. This jet of… “paint energy” was actually reflected by a mirror like a laser would.
- Viscous, sticky mass of liquid to snare people (Glue) – a mess of colours, or green.
Paul Deisinger was a disgruntled arts teacher. He worked at the Blue Valley high school, in Nebraska.
Like many school officials, he was actually an undercover agent of the Dragon King. This WWII-era Axis mastermind had a secret base in the area. Deisinger reported to Principal Sherman, a Dragon King agent who was secretly a robot.
Paintball was a mercenary, rather than being hypnotised or indoctrinated.
He also mentioned that the Dragon King “enhanced his talent”. It therefore seems likely that he already had superhuman powers that were augmented, rather than created outright, by the Dragon King’s scientists.
We don’t need no education
Paintball occasionally helped with the numerous kidnappings going on at the school. These turned dozens of kids into hypnotised minions of the Dragon King.
Paintball was defeated when a mirror in a school locker reflected his laser-like paint blast at him.
Recurring visual motif
Pat Dugan took Paintball’s goggles with him as a souvenir. Thus, months later Paintball reconstituted himself around the goggles in Dugan’s hideout.
He fought with Dugan and Impulse (Bart Allen), but Pat defeated him by splashing him with paint thinner. Paintball was dissolved and went down the drain.
Deisinger is passionate about art, particularly painting. His speech contains numerous references to such.
However he cannot stand teenagers, making him bitter and frustrated about his job. Whether teaching is his actual job or was just a cover for this posting is unrevealed.
He will be ruthless against teenaged heroes, but he’s not actually homicidal.
Paintball seems to “eat” colour and energy to sustain himself. While he prefers to drain the energy of annoying kids with too much of it, he also has been seen snacking on a box of crayons, turning them all white.
“Girls ! I said no talking ! This is art class, not communications. Do ya hear me, ya brats ? I can ruin your day quite easily.”
“Finally, I’m able to express my true colors.”
“You can’t trap an artist’s vision !”
“My [yellow] blast will tear you kids apart. Pigment by pigment.”
“You kids. Always jumping right into things.” (Deflects the charging Star-Spangled Kid into a wall)
“Now let me show you the true meaning of the term still life.”
“Noooo ! I’ll get you ! All of you costumed brats ! You won’t escape my artistic vision ! I’ll be back !”
DC Heroes RPG
|Dex: 05||Str: 04||Bod: 05|
|Int: 03||Wil: 03||Min: 03|
|Inf: 03||Aur: 03||Spi: 03|
|Init: 011||HP: 020|
Colour: 07, Deflection/Reflection: 07, Fluid form: 04, Glue: 07, Invulnerability: 08, Laser beam: 07, Lightning: 07, Stretching: 03, Vampirism: 06
Bonuses and Limitations:
- None of his Powers has Range – but note his Stretching.
- All Powers are Contingent Upon Fluid Form.
- Deflection/Reflection is Deflection Only.
- Fluid Form does not reduce STR (+2).
- The RV bonuses from Stretching and Fluid Form stack (which may not be allowed otherwise by your GM).
- Invulnerability takes months to work (-2).
- Colour only to turn objects white (BC 0, FC 1) ; it can be Combined With Vampirism.
Artist (Painter): 03
Expertise (Visual arts history), Insta-change.
MID of kid heroes, Secret ID, Fatal Vulnerability (being splashed by turpentine, paint thinner and the like).
DC Adventures RPG
Paintball — Averaged PL 6.8
Painterly physiology ● 10 point ● Descriptor: ?
– Immortality 1 (Quirk – delay is actually several months).
– Elongation 3 (60 feet).
– Insubstantial 1 (fluid), Benefit 1 (Can instantly change from super to normal appearance and back).
Chromatic energy ● 20 point ● Descriptor: ?
- Telekinesis — Close Deflect 14 (Redirect).
- Sticky mass — Close Snare 8.
- Laser-like — Close laser Damage 6.
- Electricity-like — Close lightning Damage 6.
- Lifeforce/colour drain — Close lifeforce Damage 5 Linked With Healing 5 (Limited (Self), Restorative) w/ Quirk (drains colour from the target and their clothing).
Chokehold, Close Attack 4, Defensive Roll 2
Athletics 2 (+4), Close combat (Chromatic energy) 1 (+8), Expertise (Visual arts) 4 (+5), Insight 1 (+1), Perception 2 (+2).
|Unarmed +7, Close, Damage 2.|
|Chromatic energy +8, by application.|
* Without Defensive Roll.
- Those meddling kids Paintball despises teenage heroes, and may take rasher actions than advisable to harm them.
- Secret high school Mr. Deisinger must maintains a cover identity (and he hates it).
- Vulnerability Being spalshed by a bucket of paint thinner, turpentine, etc. will liquefy and destroy Paintball for a while.
- Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 08, Dodge/Toughness PL 08, Parry/Toughness PL 07, Fort/Will PL 05.
- Points total 88. Abilities 28, Defences 18, Skills 5, Powers 30, Devices 00, Advantages 7. Equiv. PL 6.
All the Close applications of the Array can benefit from his Elongation, as normal.
Source of Character: DCU.
Helper(s): Roy Cowan, Ethan Roe.