Panic is a member of the Freelancers mercenaries.
So you’ll want to read our short Freelancers team profile first.
- Real Name: Unrevealed.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: Freelancers.
- Base of Operations: Freelancers compound, Brentwood, CA.
- Height: 5’11” (1.80m) Weight: 365 lbs. (166 Kg.)
- Eyes: Brown. Hair: Black (dyed brown).
Powers & Abilities
Panic’s size limits her mobility and her endurance. On the other hand, she can use it to deploy above-average strength.
Her main assets are psionicPsionics are sci-fi style psychic powers powers. She demonstrated the following :
- Mentally scanning a person to determine their fears, insecurities and emotional vulnerabilities.
- Speaking in a special hypnotic voice that convinces listeners that one of these insecurities has just come true. Ordinary people will take the actions that this suggests. Those with above-average resolve may still be incapacitated by negative feelings, such as doubt and fear.
- Average, upset people can also receive a post-hypnotic suggestion. Such as “you were not attacked by the Freelancers, but by the Champions”.
Some examples of Panic’s use of triggers found by scanning :
- “Your insides are full of snakes” (Aura of Fear).
- “There’s a mole in the protest and they’re going to sell you out to Roxxon.” (Hypnosis).
- “Consider the sort of monster you’re going to become.” (Snare).
- “You’re the only normal person in the world. Everybody else is a killer.” (Hypnosis)
See the team profile.
Panic is usually wearing an elegant, custom-tailored black minidress.
She’s always carrying a small purse, and frequently redoes her glossy lipstick.
Vitals estimates are based on the earliest art. In, say Secret Empire: Uprising she seemed about 5’8″ (1.72m) and 250 lbs. (113 Kg.).
Panic seems to be the cruellest of the Freelancers. She gets her kicks by harming, traumatising and humiliating defenceless persons.
She also seems fond of driving.
Panic is a high-ranking officer of the fashion police. She also despises the poor and unrefined.
Like the rest of the team, Panic is collected and confident in the field. The Freelancers have money, do you understand ? MONEY ! STASH ! SMACKERS ! SAWBUCKS ! WADS ! DUCATS !
“We’re the Freelancers. Punching down is what we *do*.”
DC Heroes RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
Panic! At Marvel Comics
|Dex: 03||Str: 03||Bod: 03|
|Int: 03||Wil: 03||Min: 03|
|Inf: 04||Aur: 04||Spi: 03|
|Init: 010||HP: 020|
Aura of fear: 04, Hypnosis: 04, Mind probe: 12, Snare: 06
Bonuses and Limitations:
- All Powers are Contingent Upon Mind Probe.
- All Powers require that targets clearly hear Panic.
- Aura of fear and Snare both get the roll benefits from her Schtick (Psy-Ops).
- Mind Probe is limited to detecting insecurities, emotional vulnerabilities, Irrational Attractions/Hatred/Dislikes and the like. These are all eligible for Schtick (Psy-Ops) bonuses.
- Snare attacks WIL/MIN, and is Mental-Linked.
Vehicles (Land): 04
Connoisseur, Familiarity (Fashion & style), Luck, Schtick (Psy-Ops).
MPR (limited physical endurance, land speed capped at 1 AP).
Her purse ain’t big, but there’s room for useful stuff. Starting of course with a smartphone.
Mind Probe isn’t technically necessary for her other Powers. But it provides her with valuable intelligence.
I was reluctant to use the Psy-Ops Schtick – this is the fourth time it is deployed. But the crux is, it allows for hooking Character Interaction (and Mental compliance Powers) onto mental and emotional Drawbacks.
These two parts of the system really should talk more. And the Schtick is a simple stab at that.
More design notes
I went with the usual WORG approach. Model everything she does, using numbers that make sense with her tactics and achieved effects.
However, she could be handled with a simple Hypnosis: 07. Plus assumptions about the dice rolls she got. Plus assumptions about the range of the Hypnotism Power’s effects.
But as I always say, readers can simplify stats to their liking. Whereas adding missing detail is much harder.
APs of Snare are higher since it’s what she went for when confronted with tougher targets, such as Young!Cyclops. Note that the listed APs assume bonuses from exploiting mental Drawbacks.
Source of Character: Marvel Comics (Champions).
Writeup completed on the 16th of August, 2020.