Proteus is an obscure opponent of Batman & the Outsiders. He was only seen in one 1984 story.
He’s conveniently generic and undetailed, *and* he’s part of a themed team (Antaeus, Argus, Diana, Nox, Vulcanus).
So having notes for these guys sounds good to us.
- Real Name: Unrevealed.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: New Olympians.
- Base Of Operations: Unrevealed.
- Height: Var. Weight: Var.
- Eyes: Var. Hair: Var.
Powers and Abilities
Proteus is a shapechanger. He can easily stretch his limbs and body, turn his hands into spiked maces, grow wings to fly, etc..
He will always adopt an handsome countenance.
The New Olympians is a group of mortal supervillains who were given their abilities by the Monitor.
They were assembled by Maxie Zeus to assault the 1984 Olympic Games in L.A., with President Reagan in attendance.
Batman intervened and challenged the New Olympians to compete with his Outsiders in a variety of contests.
Vulcanus and Proteus II challenged Metamorpho and Black Lightning to a sort of combat handball, but were defeated.
The New Olympians were seemingly slain by Gog in 2008. But in my experience, actually slaying metamorphic persons is pretty hard.
Proteus seems to have a huge problem with his natural, ugly features. He begged Black Lightning to kill him instead of having him and Metamorpho see his actual face.
When he’s more confident, though, he’s dashing, handsome, and makes up all kind of cool things such as angelic wings.
He also overcompensates by acting like a hunk mocking ugly people, like Vulcanus.
“To do that, I’d have to look at you, ugly.”
DC Heroes RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
|Dex: 05||Str: 04||Bod: 05|
|Int: 04||Wil: 04||Min: 04|
|Inf: 04||Aur: 03||Spi: 05|
|Init: 013||HP: 020|
Chameleon: 04, Omni-arm: 07, Shapechange: 04, Stretching: 04
Bonuses and Limitations:
Chameleon ceases being active when Stunned or unconscious (-1).
Maxie Zeus (Low).
Creepy Appearance, Serious Irrational Dislike of having his true features seen.
DC Adventures RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
Proteus (New Olympians) — Averaged PL 7.2
Shapechanger ● 45 points ● Descriptor: ?
– Elongation 2.
– Embiggened striker limb — Strength-based blunt Damage 3, Accurate, Feature (exact shape is ajdustable).
– Morph 4, Quirk (fails when stunned or unconscious).
– Protection 4 (Limited 1 to Physical effects).
– Variable 3 (15 points, effects achievable by morphing his body), Free Action.
Defensive Roll 2.
Close combat (Unarmed) 3 (+6), Deception 1 (+2), Insight 2 (+3), Perception 3 (+4), Persuasion 1 (+2).
|Unarmed +6, Close (plus Elongation), Damage 3.|
|Embiggened striker limb +8, Close (plus Elongation), Damage 6.|
* Without Defensive Roll.
** With Defensive Roll and vs. Physical Damage.
- Merc for Money Proteus works for dangerous people – and some, like Maxie Zeus, are unstable.
- Appearance Proteus is fixated on not letting people see his real appearance.
- Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 07, Dodge/Toughness PL 07, Parry/Toughness PL 07, Fort/Will PL 07.
- Points total 112. Abilities 30, Defences 20, Skills 5, Powers 45, Devices 00, Advantages 02. Equiv. PL 8.
The Plastic-Man-style Variable pool might give him a bit too much flexibility, but it remains the cleanest approach.
As to his Deception score, it’s likely higher but we can’t really say.
Source of Character: Batman and the Outsiders #14-15.