This character is an original creation. We often call these “homemades” or “homebrewed” – think home cooking or craft beer.
Many of these characters were created to take part in tabletop role-playing game sessions. Others were invented as a creative writing exercise, often as part of a community event.
This particular character was created when my brother was very young. We were both big Teen Titans and Uncanny X-Men fans in the early ’80’s.
Proton is a member of the Challengers.
Proton was originally analogous to the Atom, Ray Palmer. He’s a scientist who created shrinking vapors that gave him incredible shrinking powers.
- Real Name: William Gene Donaldson.
- Known Relatives: Diane Donaldson (little sister), Sharon Boston (Ex-wife), Steve Palmer (Foster Dad), Sandra Palmer (Foster Mother), Parents (Unnamed, Deceased).
- Group Affiliation: Challengers.
- Base of Operations: The Challenger’s home base.
- Height: 5’4″ (1.62m). Weight: 140 lbs. (63 Kg.).
- Eyes: Green. Hair: Black.
Powers & Abilities
His research resulted in a scientific breakthrough giving Proton the power of diminution. He can shrink himself down to the size of a single cell.
Proton is a judo and iaido practitioner.
He maintains a regimented work out and scientific study routine.
College courses and diligent self-learning has allowed him to excel in the sciences as well as the medical field.
William Donaldson always got good marks in school. This and his social awkwardness made him an outcast. Counselors said his shyness was the result of the loss of his parents at an early age.
Loving foster parents, the Palmers, took in William and his sister, Diane. Beyond regular counseling sessions, William began taking martial arts classes to build his confidence.
Things began to look up for William when he started dating and then married Sharon Boston.
Wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then
William found himself studying hard in college classes. Working and working out. With little time for his new bride. His regimented, and boring to her, lifestyle left Sharon unfulfilled.
William soon found himself divorced. Still quite young, William interned at some top labs moving where the job took him.
That lasted until he had a eureka moment inventing his shrinking vapors. Suddenly, he had a place he could retreat to anytime he wanted. He could shrink down and disappear from his life.
A solitary frontier
William began building many things at his tiny size. With time and innovation, he created tools to investigate his new world.
In the meantime, the Challengers, a team of real super-heroes had burst on the scene.
Intrigued, William went to the town of Siouxburg. His activity, trying to find out about the Challengers, was noticed by the Challenger, Violet. Soon, Blitzkrieg met Proton on his own.
Proton joined the Challengers, met the team, even worked alongside them. But it was brief. Proton will always retreat to the safety of his miniature world or his hidden HQ at the end of the day.
Proton… My version of the Atom I suppose.
A simple all white outfit with a black letter P on the chest. Black gloves, black boots. A belt. No mask.
A shy, self-conscious, and quiet guy that only wants to do his job. He is assiduous and very loyal to those who can earn his friendship.
He’s the guy who showed up for judo class, stood to himself until class began, participated in class, then left immediately after. When he gained rank, he was required to teach as well. Being forced into roles like these caused him to be more self-confident in these areas.
The rest of the Challengers don’t know about Proton’s lab. Or his submersible, the Nucleus.
“Don’t sweat the small stuff.” (winks)
“…” (looking a little embarrassed for unclear reasons)
DC/Marvel Universe Adaptation
(This section proposes ways of using this character in DC or Marvel Universe stories).
Proton could be a working associate of the Atom or Ant-Man. They recognize his genius. Perhaps he was involved in the breakthrough of their own shrinking powers.
Proton is a loner and would have broken away to do his own research. That’s why he never able to grow or shrink beyond one size.
Like Al Pratt, Proton is a short man.
DC Heroes RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
|Dex: 05||Str: 04||Bod: 05|
|Int: 07||Wil: 05||Min: 05|
|Inf: 04||Aur: 03||Spi: 04|
|Init: 018||HP: 030|
Gadgetry: 07, Martial Artist: 05, Medicine: 05, Scientist*: 07, Vehicles (SEAL): 05
Expertise (Biology, Computers, Quantum Mechanics), Stroke of Genius (Shrinking vapors), Headquarters (Expansive – Secret lab).
Secret Identity, Minor Irrational Attraction to Shyness.
Upholding the Good.
- Shrinking Vapors [Shrinking: 25, Bonuses and Limitations: Shrinking is lost if deprived of his Shrinking Vapors for more than 48 hours. Shrinking reduces STR and Weight by the currently active APs (-2) and has a Range of Touch (+1). Shrinking may only be used at full APs (-1), R#0].
- 09 AP Laboratory.
- NEUTRON THE SUPER-COMPUTER [BODY 04 INT 04, Data Storage: 12, Superspeed: 04, Bonuses and Limitations: Superspeed may only be used for mental tasks, R#2]. Neutron is the name of Proton’s super-computer. It is housed in his underground laboratory. It has four A.I.’s..
All the following equipment was built by Proton while shrank. So, they all have Miniaturization 25.
- COSTUME [BODY 03, Cold Immunity: 01, The costume also has reinforced bracers on forearms and calves with BODY 08 that are used for Blocking maneuvers.]
- PILOT UNIFORM [BODY 05, Cold Immunity: 04, Enhance (Radiation and Slashing RV): 01 (cap is 06), Flame Immunity: 04, Sealed Systems: 07, Shade: 04, Bonuses & Limitations: Maximum DEX while wearing the costume is one lower than normal. R# 02]. His Pilot Uniform is good for underwater and space travel or other harsh environments.
- Katana [BODY 05, Enhance (EV): 02 (cap is 08), Descriptor: Slashing, Piercing, Recommended STR 02].
- THE NUCLEUS [BODY 08, Flight: 10, Sealed Systems: 12, Swimming: 07, R#2]. The Nucleus is a hand-made submersible the size of a single cell. The onboard computer to the Nucleus is only a link to the super-computer located in Proton’s lab. He has a similar link to on each wrist of his costume.
Source of Character: Homemade.
Helper(s): Atom (Ray Palmer) writeup on Worg.
Writeup completed on the 12th of August, 2019.