The tragic warrior in the 1980’s film Hawk the Slayer. He wields a repeating crossbow.
For context, y’all should first read the Hawk the Slayer character profile.
- Real Name: Ranulf.
- Marital Status: Single.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: Hawk’s companions.
- Base of Operations: Village to the south of the Church.
- Height: 5’8″ Weight: 150 lbs.
- Eyes: Blue Hair: Red, greying.
Powers & Abilities
Ranulf is an aging soldier and crossbowman. He’s practiced in horsemanship.
The rest of the companions are touched with magic. But without his modified crossbow, Ranulf is the common man.
With heavy injuries, one resulting in the loss of his hand, Ranulf fled an attack on his home village. Ranulf literally crawled to the closest Church. The nuns of the Sisterhood of the Holy Word gave him medical attention. They saved his life.
However, Voltan then kidnapped the Abbess. He demanded a ransom of 2,000 gold pieces.
Ranulf journeyed to the fortress of Danesford, to speak to the Abbott. Since the Church doesn’t pay ransoms, it would put them all at risk. Instead, the Abbott suggested Ranulf seek out a warrior of light, called Hawk.
See the Hawk character profile for more details about the world and Ranulf’s adventures.
Sun-burnt skin with red hair and beard. A balding spot at the top of his head.
Ranulf’s entire village was wiped out, he escaped. This propelled him along a path to bring Voltan to justice.
Being a soldier, Ranulf relies on his experience. It’s made him able to cope with the horrors of war.
He is a grounded person. He trusts Hawk’s strength and judgment.
“When I had Voltan in my sights I should’ve fired.”
“My village to the south was attacked by Raiders led by the devil himself. That devil burned our homes to the ground, and as the men, women, and… children tried to escape from the flames. They hacked them to pieces. Laughing as they did so… How they laughed… I was the only one to escape God forgive me.”
Nun: “Oh God, help me, I know not what to do.”
Ranulf: “You save my arm, and skull face must pay for the death of my village. Somehow, I’ll get help.”
“The dark one understands nothing but the spilling of blood. I’m a warrior and I know that your salvation from Voltan lies in having the strength of someone like Hawk to protect you.”
“What now Hawk ?”
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG Print Friendly
|Dex: 02||Str: 02||Bod: 03||Motivation: Seeking Justice|
|Int: 03||Wil: 03||Min: 04||Occupation: Warrior|
|Inf: 03||Aur: 02||Spi: 03||Wealth: 002|
|Init: 008||HP: 005|
Animal Handling (Horses): 03, Gadgetry (Weapons): 03, Military Science (Cammo, Tracking, Carto, Danger Rec, Field Cmd): 03, Weaponry (Melee, Crossbow): 04
Area Knowledge (Lands around his village), Stroke of genius (Repeating crossbow).
Serious Physical Restriction (missing left hand).
- Repeating Crossbow [BODY 03, AV 05, Range: 04, Ammo: 10, Bonuses and Limitations: Autofire, Long reload time, R#03] w/x20 Bolts [BODY 02, EV 04]. It’s Clip fed. Before Ranulf modified it, it had normal crossbow stats.
- Dagger [BODY 03, Enhance (EV): 01 (cap is 05), Descriptor: Piercing].
- RINGMAIL ARMOR [BODY 03, Blunting: 01, Damage capacity: 02, Enhance (Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing RV): 01 (cap is 05), Stealth penalty 2⁄ 3, Bonuses & Limitations:
- Damage Capacity is Slashing Only.
- Damage Capacity has the Full Recovery with Infrastructure Bonus.
- Partial Coverage (Jacket, +2 OV to bypass).
- Ranulf has a riding horse with standard stats.
Source of Character: The 1980 movie Hawk the Slayer, character portrayed by William Morgan Sheppard (credited as Morgan Sheppard).
Writeup completed on the 1st of January, 2020.