Youngblood and its leader Shaft are in many ways emblematic of this era, with Rob Liefeld aesthetics and a dysfunctional team that is half assassins, half celebs. The book died and was brought back multiple times, but this profile is about the early 1990s, original, Liefeld take on Shaft.
These are *old* (1990s) technical notes, not a full profile. Hopefully we’ll be able to overhaul it, since he’s a useful character.
- Real Name: Jeff Terrell.
- Marital Status: Single.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Base Of Operations: Youngblood HQ (Washington, DC).
- Group Affiliation: Youngblood.
- Height: 6’ Weight: 185lbs.
- Eyes: Blue Hair: Strawberry blond
Powers and Abilities
Shaft follows the usual action hero/fighting expert template so common at Image, with the fearless leader template added.
His toys are more interesting. His metal bow has no string, but at its center is a gravity well. Thus, it functions as a linear accelerator, allowing Shaft to engage armoured targets with little trouble. He uses :
- Razor tip and armor piercing arrows (in DC Heroes RPG terms, Projectile weapons).
- High-explosive grenade arrows (Bomb).
- Sonic disruptor arrows (Vibe).
He also frequently wears a targeting device in his shoulder, and one, two or no sword on his back.
Jeff Terrell was an elite FBI operative prior to his selection as leader of the Youngblood domestic team. Chosen primarily because of his strong leadership abilities and his movie star good looks, Jeff was the logical choice to replace the more intensely driven Battlestone. At this point, Battlestone had been forcibly removed from his position as team leader.
The swift transformation into the public persona known as “Shaft” ensued, giving him instant media exposure and firmly establishing him as a hero to the American public.
A classic action hero with a strong temper. Shaft has a commanding personality and keen mind allowing him to quickly size up any situation and make whatever decisions are necessary (well, he’s supposed to, at least). His personal charisma and resolution inspire trust and loyalty within the team.
Interestingly, despite the fame and fortune resulting from the media onslaught around Youngblood, Jeff resents the media attention. He despises the costumed artifice associated with the Youngblood program.
DC Universe History
Youngblood makes a good campaign element, actually. Have them appear overnight, with a huge media campaign backing them and a few doctored missions to build their rep.
Soon, the US press is spouting stupidity such as “move over, JLA. America’s most popular super-team is younger, crisper and heavily armed – and it’s called Youngblood” and the actual super-heroes are occasionally mocked. That puts an interesting pressure on PCs.
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG Print Friendly
|Dex: 08||Str: 04||Bod: 05||Motivation: Responsibility|
|Int: 05||Wil: 07||Min: 05||Occupation: Government agent|
|Inf: 06||Aur: 05||Spi: 06||Resources: 10|
|Init: 019||HP: 060|
Acrobatics: 06, Charisma*: 06, Martial artist*: 08, Vehicles (land)*: 08, Weaponry: 10
Free Access, HQ (expansive), Leadership, Lightning Reflexes, Security Clearance (Medium).
Youngblood (High), FBI (Low).
- Bow [BODY 08, Bomb: 08, Projectile weapons: 08, Vibe: 08, R#2].
- TARGET ACQUISITION RIG [BODY 06, Radar sense: 06, Telescopic vision: 04, Thermal vision: 06, Ultravision: 06, Weaponry (missile): 12 ; Limitation: Weaponry can only be used against high-speed targets (10+ APs of movement) and by somebody who already has that skill at 09+ (-4)].
- Sword [BODY 09, EV 04 (05 w/STR, 09 w/Martial artist)].
- Belt pellets [BODY 02, Bomb: 07, Flash: 07, Neutralize: 07, Poison touch + Fog: 07, Radio coms: 07, Limitations : each Power has Ammo: 02 ; Neutralize represents a Co2 charge and only works on fires and fire powers (-3), Radio coms can be used for a tracer (+0)].
- At one point he even had Jet Boots [STR 05, BODY 03, Flight: 06, R#2].
Source of Character: Youngblood Comics.
Helper(s): Hartley Holmberg.