Sparkler was a member of the Force of July, a group of US hardliners who repeatedly fought Batman and the Outsiders during the 1980s.
See the team profile at the hyperlink above for more context.
- Real Name: Unrevealed.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: Force of July.
- Base Of Operations: Mobile.
- Height: 4’9” (1.45m). Weight: 95 lbs. (43 Kg.).
- Eyes: Green. Hair: Black.
Powers and Abilities
Sparkler could radiate colorful energy to fly and fire offensive blasts.
Major Victory referred to this as Sparkler’s “fireworks form,”. Yet the transformation did not extend beyond Sparkler gaining a multi-colored aura when using his powers.
Albeit he was new to the job, Sparkler was a competent tactician, seeking out opportunities for surprise and blindside attacks when possible.
For the history of the Force of July, see our main article. The following starts where the Force of July History section ended.
Sparkler was not one of the Force of July members who was recreated for the successor superteam Freedom’s Ring.
It is possible this is because his abilities were not as easily duplicated – or they were redundant with the other team members’. But this is only speculation.
A young Hispanic male with a wild tangle of black shoulder-length hair. Sparkler’s eager boyish grin is a perverse contrast with his brutal aggression.
His costume was a white bodysuit with yellow and red trim and collar, a yellow belt with a star-shaped buckle. Plus a ring of black stars forming low-slung “necklace” around his neck or lined up in a V (depending on how the artist was feeling in any given panel).
When Sparkler used his powers, he was surrounded by a yellow-white aura sprinkled with small yellow flashes. Upon taking flight, the lower part of his body was enveloped and trailed in a shimmering yellowish-orange roiling energy field looking somewhat like smoke and flame.
The overall effect visually resembled the flight trail of the Marvel Universe’s Cannonball (Samuel Guthrie).
Sparkler has an obvious hero worship of Major Victory and models his behavior after his leader’s.
Sparkler’s youthful enthusiasm makes him even more prone to arrogant boasting than Major Victory is. But in spite of that the boy is actually more tactically prudent than his mentor.
“You guys shoulda had enough sense to go home and hide when you escaped the first time !”
“What I can do, goldie, is light up your life with some Roman Candle blasts ! That’ll put a sparkle in your eye !”
“Hey, creep — what are you ? Some kinda pervert, peeking in windows like that ! Probably a wimp, too ! A commie-traitor wimp !”
“Oh, you’re a real tough guy, whiskers ! I’d hate to see what happened if you met Major Victory ! Probably wet your leotards !”
DC Heroes RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
|Dex: 05||Str: 02||Bod: 03|
|Int: 03||Wil: 03||Min: 04|
|Inf: 02||Aur: 03||Spi: 03|
|Init: 012||HP: 025|
Air Control: 08, Energy Blast: 07, Flash: 06, Flight: 06
Bonuses and Limitations:
- Air control can only be used to create “vacuums” — superheated air that is impossible to breathe. This works just like the standard use of Air control to create vacuums, with two differences – Flame Immunity can be added to RV, and this kind of attack only deals Bashing damage (-3FC total).
- Flash always activates at a “steady illumination” level when Sparkler uses his other Powers — this is mostly just a special effect, but it would complicate efforts at stealth (-1FC).
Government Credentials (American Security Agency, Low), Lightning Reflexes.
Force of July (High).
Thrill of Adventure.
DC Adventures RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
Sparkler — Averaged PL 6
Pyrotechnics ● 48 points ● Descriptor: ?
– Flight 5
– Environment 4 (Light 2 over two Ranks of radius).
– Array :
- Pyrotechnics blasts — Ranged fire Damage 6, Accurate.
- Zone of unbreathably superheated air — Ranged Burst-Area fire Affliction 11 (fatigued/exhausted/incapacitated, resisted by Fort).
Close attack 2, Defensive Roll 1, Evasion, Improved Initiative.
Benefit 2 (American Security Agency backing).
Athletics 3 (+3), Insight 1 (+1), Perception 2 (+2), Ranged combat (Pyrotechnics blast) 5 (+8)
|Unarmed +5, Close, Damage 0|
|Pyrotechnics blasts +8, Ranged, Damage 6|
* Without Defensive Roll.
- Lit Sparkler must engage his Environment Power whenever he uses any of his Powers. This could complicate attempts at stealth and the like.
- Chico Sparkler is a minor.
- Trade-off areas. Attack/Effect PL 10, Dodge/Toughness PL 5, Parry/Toughness PL 4, Fort/Will PL 4.
- Points total 92. Abilities 16, Defences 15, Skills 6, Powers 48, Devices 0, Advantages 7. Equiv. PL 7.
Source of Character: DC Comics.
Helper(s): Sébastien Andrivet, Capita Senyera, Dr. Peter S Piispanen.