Spear is an obscure Marvel character.
He primarily appeared in a 1975/1976 Luke Cage storyline.
- Real Name: Jasper Daniels.
- Known Relatives: Jack (brother, deceased), Shadrick (aka Mangler, brother), Mrs. Daniels (mother).
- Group Affiliation: None.
- Base Of Operations: Unrevealed.
- Height: 6’1” (1.85m). Weight: 185 lbs. (84 Kg.).
- Eyes: Brown. Hair: Black.
Powers and Abilities
Spear is a powerful athlete and fighter.
He’s generally competent.
He has a talent for disappearing in the shadows. This is done using stealth, acrobatics and a swing line.
Spear’s costume is thoroughly armoured, even though it looks like super-Spandex.
Aside from his line and grappling hook, Spear carries tear gas grenades.
His main weapon is his speargun – a launcher of large bladed projectiles. His spears include :
- Broadhead spears.
- Spears with a trident-like head, which is useful for some trick shots.
- Explosive spears.
- Clusters of four small spears. These are used as a called shot to pin a target to a nearby wall through their clothing.
- Shafts that clamp together once shot. Their joint head forms a heavy ramming plate.
Our *guess* is that this equipment was commissioned from the Tinkerer.
While Jack Daniels was in prison, he was diagnosed with an incurable brain tumour. He thus volunteered for the early cellular regeneration experiments of Dr. Noah Burstein.
But this experiment only accelerated Jack’s painful death. The corpse, still twisted in agony, was returned to his mother and his two brothers.
My brothers will avenge me
Both of Jack’s brothers swore revenge. They would make Burstein suffer and die as Jack did.
Jasper became the costumed avenger Spear. He took the lead so his older brother Shadrick, the dim-witted professional wrestler the Mangler, wouldn’t mess things up.
(Marvunapp.com notes that the published story wasn’t the one that was originally intended. Indeed, it seems likely that Burstein’s dark secret, the reason why Spear and the Mangler were hunting him down, was something more terrible and far-reaching than Jack Daniels’ death.)
Over a few years Spear :
He stalked the doctor, terrorising him for days. Burstein’s friend, Luke Cage, tried to stop Spear on several occasions, but couldn’t nail him.
The Mangler tried to help, but Cage caught him. Thus, Jasper had to leave Burstein alone for a while to free Shadrick. After a daring seventh-floor assault through a window freed Mangler, Spear returned to Burstein and finally shot him.
However, an ambulance came in in time, saving the doctor’s life.
Missing the mattresses
Not knowing that Burstein was still alive, Spear packed up to leave New York City.
Meanwhile Mrs. Daniels, fearing that the police would kill her sons, came to Cage and his ally Detective Chase. She gave them Spear’s current address if they promised not to kill him.
Cage and Chase caught up with Spear in the nick of time. Daniels narrowly escaped, leaping onto the roof of a bus to make his getaway. Cage nevertheless caught up with him.
The two men fought atop of the bus. They crashed through the windshield, sending the bus careening into the Hudson river. Cage knocked Spear out and handed him over to the police.
Decades later, Spear appeared as a member of the Rivals. It was a loose coalition of mercenary New York City villains coordinated by Nightshade (Tilda Johnson).
Nobody pressed charges, and Spear soon left Ryker’s Island.
Soon after that, the “Spider-Island” crisis mutated Manhattanites en masseIn a group; all together..
Nightshade and the Rivals tried to force the quarantine blockade to flee while they still could. But they were beaten back by Misty Knight and her operatives.
In 2016, Shadrick was beaten and captured by the Preemptive Strike vigilante militia.
Cletus Evans (formerly the Disco Devil) and “Cockroach” Hamilton also joined. They feared they were next.
Heroes for hire
They pooled their money to hire Luke Cage and Daniel Rand. But things went bad. Spear joined Mangler in prison, as did Iron Fist.
Though Spear refused to trust a millionaire White dude, the Heroes for Hire eventually took down the Preemptive Strike conspiracy. It involved fabricating perfect criminal records to frame even complete innocents.
Jasper returned to the life. But Shadrick instead joined Cage and Rand’s venture as a construction foreman.
In 1975, Daniels was consumed by his need for vengeance. He wanted it to last, to be thorough, and to be strikingly dramatic.
He sounded smart and well-educated. He also was daring and confident.
Spear liked making thunderous, theatrical statements and threats. He presumably rehearsed. Either that, or he’s a graduate of the Thor School of Improv Monologuing.
This was in large part because he felt that his cause was that of righteous justice. But his 2010 appearances also featured elaborate threats full of showmanship.
In 2017, he was markedly less verbose, and pettier. He seemed bitter, angry and tired. Seeing his 100% reformed brother shoved back into prison based on fabrications may have been the cause for this.
“Cage, I told you way back in the beginning to stay out of this. Accounts have been settled. Don’t make me have to take you out the way I did with Burstein.”
“You see what they did to him ? Commit a crime and they treat you like you’re a Guinea pig.”
“It leaves you with no time at all, Cage ! You aren’t anywhere as quick as Spear.”
(Text of a death threat sent wrapped around a spear) “There isn’t a Nuremberg to judge your crimes ; your crimes have been sanctioned by the State, though there is no war to hide your atrocities. But there is a judge, and I am that judge. My spears slice through the deceit of your past. You have been sentenced ! And the sentence is death !”
“Don’t worry Burstein… you won’t have to sweat much longer ! Soon, you’ll burn in the fires of the Hell you created ! And even Cage — even he can’t stop your death !”
“You want to tell me how it feels, Burstein… the way Jack told me while he waited for death ? You aren’t safe anywhere. Not at the clinic. Or a grocery store. You’re fair game.”
DC Heroes RPG
|Dex: 06||Str: 04||Bod: 05|
|Int: 05||Wil: 05||Min: 04|
|Inf: 05||Aur: 04||Spi: 04|
|Init: 018||HP: 025|
Acrobatics: 05, Thief (Stealth): 05, Weaponry (Speargun): 06
Mangler (High), Tinkerer (Low), Street (Low). He might retain a Connection with Nightshade (Tilda Johnson).
Dependent (Shadrick, zero points).
- COSTUME [BODY 07, Enhance (Physical Kinetic & Energy RV): 04 (cap is 09)].
- Line w/grappling hook [BODY 05, 3 APs long].
- Tear gas grenade (x2) [BODY 03, Fog: 03, Chemical attack: 05, Grenade drawback, Bonus: Chemical attack and Fog are Combined (Chemical attack is active thorough the Fog), R#03].
- Speargun [BODY 04, Range: 05, Ammo: 02, Telescopic vision: 02, R#02, Note: can launch any of Spear’s spears, Drawback: Long reload time]. It can be loaded with any of the following:
- Basic spears (x8) [BODY 05, EV 06, Sharpness (EV): 02].
Some of the spears have two trident-style points instead of a single spear-like point. As a Trick Shot they can pin a target with a STR equal to their BODY.
- Explosive spears (x2) [BODY 03, EV (Area of effect 0 APs): 07, Note: Ammunition for the Speargun].
- Set of four pinning spears [BODY 04, Glue: 05, Note: Ammunition for the Speargun]. Those smaller spears are fired all four at once and are designed to pin a target to a nearby surface, normally by shooting through their clothes and into a wall.
- Ramming spears [BODY 05, EV (Planned Knockback Attack only): 07, Note: Ammunition for the Speargun]. Those two spears magnetically clamp together as soon as they are shot, to form a sort of spiked plate at the tip of the two shafts. It was used to knock Cage away from the escaping Mangler.
- Basic spears (x8) [BODY 05, EV 06, Sharpness (EV): 02].
If Daniels uses one of his basic spears in melee — [BODY 05, Enhance (EV): 02 (cap is 07), Sharpness (EV): 01, Descriptor: Piercing].
DC Adventures RPG
Spear — Averaged PL 9.2
Armoured costume ● 9 points (Subtle, Removable)
Protection 6, Enhanced Fortitude 3.
Speargun Array ● 16 points (Noticeable, Removable)
- Scope — Senses 1 (Extended Visual 1).
- Impaling spear — Ranged Piercing Damage 5, Armour-Piercing 2.
- Pinning spear — Snare 5.
- Explosive spear — Ranged Explosive Damage 6 with Burst-Area 1 Explosive Damage 4.
- Knockback plate spear — Move object 6 (Limited 1 – Only backward).
Defensive roll 2, Evasion 1, Improved aim, Improved initiative, Precise attack (Ranged, Concealment), Ranged attack 3.
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 6 (+8), Close combat (Unarmed) 5 (+9), Deception 2 (+3), Insight 4 (+5), Perception 4 (+5), Persuasion 2 (+3), Ranged combat (Spear gun) 5 (+10), Stealth 4 (+8), Vehicles 4 (+6) (Limited 2 – Common land vehicles only).
Tear gas grenades [Cloud-Area Visual Dazzle 4] ● 12 points
|Unarmed +9, Close, Damage 3|
|Spear gun +10, Ranged, See Devices|
* Without Defensive Roll
** With Costume
- Motivation Previously Revenge, presumably now Mercenary.
- Relationship His family.
- Trade-off areas Attack & Effect PL 8, Dodge/Toughness PL 11, Parry/Toughness PL 11, Fort & Will PL 7.
- Point total 121. Abilities 40, Defences 24, Skills 20, Powers 0, Devices 25, Advantages 12. Equiv. PL 9.
Source of Character: Marvel Universe.
Writeup updated on the 10th of December, 2019.