(Mutant Liberation Front)
Sumo was the most minor member of Stryfe’s Mutant Liberation Front.
He debuted in 1990, appeared briefly in The New Mutants and was killed in the first arc of the solo Cable comic.
He wasn’t an inspired character design, and was immediately forgotten after his death.
Sumo seems to be a reference to pro wrestler John Tenta , who wrestled as Earthquake, Avalanche (no relation), Golga & Shark in North America. Tenta briefly performed in sumo wrestling in Japan as “Kototenzan Toshimitsu” (Heavenly Mountain Harp).
- Real Name: Jun Tenta.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: Mutant Liberation Front.
- Base of Operations: Mobile.
- Height: About 9′ (2.74m). Weight: About 1,500 lbs. (680 Kg.).
- Eyes: Unrevealed. Hair: Black.
Powers & Abilities
Sumo appears much taller than a normal man (possibly 8-10 feet tall), and extremely heavy.
He exhibits mass-shifting powers, akin to The Blob (Frederick Dukes)’s. He typically fought by stomping and sitting on people, and could:
- Leap a considerable distance (60 feet (18m) ?).
- Resisted being displaced (appearing much heavier than he looked).
- Didn’t seem to take any damage from falling, no matter the distance traveled.
He was fairly durable, but couldn’t take punishment as well as he could dish it out. Sumo was typically knocked around by a powerful shot eventually.
Sumo debuted in the first year of Stryfe’s Mutant Liberation Front, appearing to squabble with the New Mutants.
Later on, the MLF attacked Cable (Nathan Summers). He shot Sumo in the head and the team immediately bailed, leaving their comrade’s corpse behind.
Nobody ever referred to him again.
A simple big fat guy in a fundoshi (“sumo thong”).
Sumo was an aggressive, smirking lout.
He did not get much of a chance to elaborate upon his character.
DC Heroes RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
|Dex: 05||Str: 09||Bod: 06|
|Int: 02||Wil: 02||Min: 03|
|Inf: 02||Aur: 02||Spi: 03|
|Init: 009||HP: 010|
Growth: 03, Joined: 04, Jumping: 03, Skin armour: 02
Bonuses and Limitations:
- Growth is Always On and Already Factored In.
- Jumping has the Catfall Bonus.
- Skin armour only vs. Unarmed and Blunt Descriptors.
DC Adventures RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
Sumo (Jun Tenta).
PL 8 (99)
Created By: Louise Simonson & Rob Liefeld.
First Appearance: The New Mutants #93 (Sept. 1990).
Role: Powerhouse, Big Guy, Expendable Mort.
Group Affiliations: The Mutant Liberation Front.
Mass Shifting ● 29 points ● Descriptor: Mutant
– “Natural Size” Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) — (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) .
– Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 5) .
– Power-Lifting 1 (12 tons) .
– Enhanced Strength 4 (Flaws: Limited to Resisting Movement) .
– Leaping 3 (60 feet) .
– Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) .
Acrobatics 2 (+5), Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7), Expertise (Terrorist) 3 (+3), Insight 2 (+2), Intimidation 5 (+5, +9 Size), Investigation 4 (+4), Perception 3 (+3).
Improved Critical (Slam), Improved Hold, Withstand Damage.
|Unarmed +7, Close, Damage 9 (DC 23).|
|Dodge||+7 (DC 17)|
|Parry||Parry +7 (DC 17)|
* Three Ranks are Impervious.
- Motivation Mutant Pride.
- Prejudice Obvious Mutant. Sumo is much larger than an ordinary human, and would probably be recognized as a mutant fairly quickly.
Sumo’s a classic PL 8 scrub villain. An under-pointed powerhouse who’s got some pretty bad accuracy, but a little bit of quickness.
He’s a bit like a Mini-Blob in many ways. With light Immovability, Protection, Immunity to Falling Damage, and a few strength-based tricks. But he’s fairly light on his feet and hits Slam attacks pretty well.
Didn’t save him against Cable (his Fort & Toughness are fairly low for a powerhouse, and he was caught flat-footed by a sneak attack), but you can’t win ’em all.
Not a bad guy in a group, like most of the M.L.F.
Source of Character: Marvel Comics (mostly X-Force).
Helper(s): What Sébastien Andrivet is cooking.
Writeup completed on the 4th of August, 2020.