(Bob Grayson profile #2 - Agent of Atlas)
Unless you’re right familiar with the character, we strongly suggest that you first read:
- The profile for Marvel Boy (Bob Grayson) as he appeared during the 1950s.
- The team profile for the Agents of Atlas.
This profile solely depicts Bob as he appears in Agents of Atlas books. That includes some of the retconsMaking changes to a character or story after the fact., which means that his biography contradicts the 1950s version’s in various aspects.
- Real Name: Robert Grayson.
- Former Aliases: Marvel Boy.
- Known Relatives: Horace Grayson (born Horace Grabshield, father, deceased).
- Group Affiliation: Agents of Atlas; formerly G-Men, Department Zero.
- Base Of Operations: Atlas Foundation HQ, San Francisco.
- Height: 5’10” (1.78m). Weight: 170 lbs. (77 Kg.).
- Eyes: Blue. Hair: Blond.
Powers and Abilities
Bob’s body has been altered to more closely resemble a Uranian physiology.
This leaves him unable to easily survive in other atmospheres, such as that of Earth. So he has to wear his protective suit at all times.
He kept the full extent of these changes hidden for a while, maintaining illusions of a still human-looking appearance. He’s since discarded these attempts.
It’s been shown that in order to eat he must distend his esophagus, but other biological changes have yet to be revealed.
Educated by the technologically advanced Eternals, Bob has knowledge of highly advanced sciences.
He built his flying saucer from scratch, and repaired and upgraded M-11. He seems to have some ability to neutralize the technology he embedded in M-11, such as his energy shields.
Suit and headband
His suit provides a Uranian atmosphere in which he can survive. The sphere over his head is actually a force field containing the atmosphere rather than a solid object. The suit can also harmlessly absorb electrical attacks.
Most of his powers come from his headband, which allows him to access peoples’ minds, project illusions into them, and record their memories and mental patterns.
The headband can also record its surroundings, or even the genetic structure of those it encounters; It holds records dating back to the first time he wore it.
It also allows him to pick up on the psychic residue of those who may have been in his current location in the past, allowing him to witness past events.
The Uranian’s flying saucer is a model of extra-terrestrial science.
It responds to his mental control by way of his headband, creating a virtual reality interface which only he can see. Damage to the ship also seems to cause pain to its controller, even if he’s not in it at the time.
Other capabilities include:
- Tractor beams.
- Regenerative pools.
- Hard-light holographic projections.
- Virtual reality controls.
- Making solid surfaces intangible and/or transparent.
- Projecting force fields (including over those transported by its tractor beams).
- Projecting powerful energy beams. The most potent one, the Meteor Smasher, has proven able to damage the likes of the Hulk (Dr. Bruce Banner) or Phorcys (son of the Elder God Set)
It can create whatever its pilot wants, either as holograms or as actual solid objects. It can rearrange its compartments to accommodate any guests wishes or create equipment for their use (such as underwater gear when the team went to recover Namora).
Bob still calls his ship the Silver Bullet, though it’s not the same one as during the 1950s.
During the 1950s, his activities as Marvel Boy drawing attention, Bob was recruited by Jimmy Woo. That was after President Eisenhower was kidnapped by the Yellow Claw.
Joining the group being assembled, Marvel Boy remained with Department Zero (often nicknamed the G-Men) until they were forced to disband.
A short while later Bob received a distress call from Uranus. Arriving home he found the city destroyed, and learned the truth about his origin.
The settlement had been a penal colony for rogue Eternals who had tried to conquer Earth. The native Uranians, living in the planet’s core, supervised the Eternals so they wouldn’t return to Earth.
That was why the Eternals had helped Marvel Boy and his father. They saw them as a loophole to be exploited.
The Uranians disagreed, causing the Eternals’ destruction.
Marvel Boy would have died as his Eternal technology (apart from his headband) failed him. But the Uranians took pity on him and accepted him into their number. This required him to be genetically reborn, and he spent decades in a membrane/chrysalis.
During the Eternals’ destruction they rushed to completion a duplicate of Marvel Boy. It was one of their own of the same approximate size and shape as Bob, whose body and mind they modified him to closely resemble.
The duplicate arose too late to be of help. And it was born unstable with false and fractured memories.
It believed the destruction of the Eternals’ protective dome had been the fault of bankers of Earth. As he remembered it, these stalled him when they denied his request for a loan to purchase medical supplies.
Returning to Earth to exact revenge, the duplicate called himself the Crusader and began a rampage.
The Fantastic Four intervened. But the Crusader’s misunderstanding of the Quantum Bands he wore that made him reckless. He absorbed so much energy that the bands overloaded and his body was destroyed.
Agents of Atlas
For years Bob lived a solitary existence despite the Uranian collective, since he regarded himself a separate entity by nature. He passed the time by building a new flying saucer, although the Uranian culture forbade him leaving the planet.
Still, when he received a distress call from former allies M-11 and Gorilla Man about the near death of Jimmy Woo, Robert decided to return to Earth to help.
The Uranians accepted this, but told him that this meant severing his ties with the collective for all time. He did so.
Returning to Earth he made sure to maintain an illusion that he retained a human body, even among his friends.
Return of the Three Dimensional Man
When his illusion slipped and his teammates saw his true appearance, Bob was relieved that they weren’t bothered. He has stopped disguising himself since then.
Detached and alien, Bob has forgotten most of what he knew about human interaction. He acts as a cold and impassionate observer a lot of the time.
He’s very much an outsider in Earth culture, and is only starting to recover his emotions.
He’s probably still recovering from the shock of being separated from the Uranian group-mind. It’s unknown whether he’ll experience delayed reactions to this.
“What in the name of the universe —?”
“That… wasn’t easy. Human minds seem so alien to me now.”
(To Gorilla Man) “Ken, I don’t know why you’re so amused every time we mention my homeworld.”
Bob (providing uniforms for the team): “The suit also removes dead skin cells and waste.”
Gorilla Man: “You always gotta go there.”
(Learning of M-11’s betrayal) “I left the Membrane… my only home… for the puppet of a ridiculous villain. You think an energy shield will save you ? I gave you that shield ! And I can take it away !!!”
Jimmy Woo: “You know what I’ve been thinking, Bob ? I think the Uranians knew it was time for you to rejoin the human race.”
Bob: “Perhaps… or maybe they thought I was weird.”
DC Heroes RPG
Tell me more about the game stats
|Dex: 06||Str: 03||Bod: 04|
|Int: 08||Wil: 08||Min: 07|
|Inf: 05||Aur: 06||Spi: 07|
|Init: 019||HP: 045|
Gadgetry: 09, Scientist: 09, Vehicles (Land, Space): 06
Familiarity (Insurance fraud), Genius, Languages (Uranian), Life Support (Sleeping needs reduced to about a fifth).
Agents of Atlas (High).
Voluntary Exile (Uranus), Fatal Vulnerability (Exposure to non-Uranian atmosphere), Strange Appearance.
Responsibility of Power.
Agent of Atlas.
- SUIT [BODY 07, Energy Absorption (Electricity Only): 08, Sealed Systems: 20].
- HEADBAND [BODY 07, Comprehend Languages: 10, Data Storage (Mind Probe and Life Sense results): 10, Hypnotism: 10, Invisibility (Contingent on Mental Illusion): 08, Life Sense (Discerning, and can scan target’s DNA): 08, Mental Illusion: 10, Mind Probe (Result may be accessed by Data Storage): 12, Neutralize (Technology he’s built): 12, Postcognition (Where sentient beings have been present): 20, Telepathy: 08].
- Flying Saucer [BODY (Hardened Defenses) 15 STR 12, EMP: 15, Color: 12, Disintegrate: 12, Dispersal: 12, Energy Blast: 18, Fabricate (Unlimited duration within the saucer): 15, Flight: 26, Force Field: 12, Illusion: 10, Invisibility: 12, Sealed Systems: 15, Telekinesis: 12, Bonuses and Limitations:
- Color was only used to urn opaque surfaces transparent.
- Dispersal has Range (+1), and can only be used on non-living matter (-1).
- Force Field and Telekinesis can have the Combined Power Usage Bonus (+1).
- Loss Vulnerability: Flight drops to 13 in an atmosphere].
Source of Character: Marvel Comics.
Helper(s): Marvel.com , Darci, Sébastien Andrivet, Frank Murdock.