This is the sorceress who aided the hero Hawk in the 1980 movie Hawk the Slayer.
To add to her mystery, the witch remains unnamed. The film’s credits name her… “Woman”. As that is beyond generic I’ll use “Witch” for this writeup.
- Real Name: Unrevealed.
- Other Aliases: Woman, Sorceress, White Wizard.
- Marital Status: Single.
- Known Relatives: None.
- Group Affiliation: Hawk’s companions.
- Base of Operations: A cave in the woods.
- Height: 5’4″ Weight: 120 lbs.
- Eyes: Unrevealed Hair: Unrevealed.
Powers & Abilities
The young witch known only as “Woman” became a hermit by necessity. Witches were feared and burned if discovered.
Her magic comes from knowledge of the occult. Most of her spells require components. She seemed helpless when bound.
Witch carries a mystic staff capable of freezing enemies in place.
See the Hawk the Slayer character profile for more details about the world and her adventures.
As she is always outside, she wears a lot of clothing including fingerless gloves. She’s covered in white furs. Atop those is a brown and grey hooded traveling cloak.
Since she’s blind, she wears a piece of brown leather about her eyes. A painted blue eye lies at its center. (It’s vaguely reminiscent of a nazar, a common Middle Eastern symbol to ward off the evil eye — Ed.).
She carries a walking staff and a shoulder bag.
Her voice is a hard whisper.
Witch is quiet, always whispering.
She is a good witch. However, being a witch alone causes most to judge her harshly. “Suffer not a witch to live” and all that.
She displays some Wiccan principles such as:
- Living in harmony with nature.
- “If it harm none, do what you will”. All her spells are non-lethal.
(Speaking of a pig that died) “Had you let me tend it, the creature would’ve lived.”
“With my powers, you will journey to where each man is, and if he is willing, he will return here with you.”
Witch: “Let me look into the fire. It shows these dead eyes many things. A one-handed man seeks you. He carries a token. But I also see a man who wears a mask of death. Beware of this man. He is filled with hate.”
Hawk: “Voltan. Where do I find this one-handed man ?”
Witch: “Go south quickly for he rides into danger. Ranulf is his name. You will need me again. For the final battle has yet to be fought.”
“I am ready.”
“Have no fear, my magic powers will not harm you. But just for a short time, my powders will create a whirlpool of flying firebolts to blind their eyes.”
“… the wizards gather in the south. Follow your destiny.”
Game Stats — DC Heroes RPG
A 162 points Character (Without equipment or Rituals).
|Dex: 02||Str: 01||Bod: 02||Motivation: Responsibility of Power|
|Int: 03||Wil: 03||Min: 03||Occupation: Witch|
|Inf: 03||Aur: 03||Spi: 03||Wealth: 000|
|Init: 008||HP: 005|
Flame Project: 01, Telekinesis: 01
Bonuses and Limitations:
Flame Project has the Indirect bonus.
Expertise (Wilderness Survival), Scholar (Divination).
Minor Physical Restriction (Blind).
- Fortune in the flames [Precognition: 09, Casting Time: 01, Special Restrictions: An open flame to stare into. She added something that made the fire sizzle.] She used this spell to find Hawk’s companions and the next Ritual to gather them. She used this one again when Voltan captured Hawk.
- Power of journey and return [Teleportation: 07, Casting Time: 02, Special Restrictions: An open flame. She added something that made the fire sizzle.] Two rotating rings of energy appear around the person to be teleported.
- Smoking cloud [Fog: 06, Casting Time: 01, Special Restrictions: The witch breaks two multi-colored eggs that glow and flash brightly before spewing forth billowing smoke.]
- Grave protection [Force Field: 06, Casting Time: unknown (cast off-screen), Special Restrictions: several red glowing orbs set upon the grave.] The force field looks like a large bubble. It prevents the grave from being disturbed by wild beasts.
- Fire Bolts [Flash: 03, Fog: 03, Mental Blast: 04, Casting Time: 01, Special Restrictions: A campfire.]
The sparking fire bolts fly in the direction the witch desires. They do no damage, but she states they will blind their eyes. It looks like a whirlwind, to begin with, and uses Mental Blast only if there is something in its path, like a door. Lastly, a fog of snow spews out further obscuring the attackers.
Staff [BODY 03, Mystic Freeze: 07, Bonuses and Limitations: Mystic Freeze has no AV and uses the Occultist skill of the wielder instead (+/-0), Cost: 18, B&L:
- The Mystic Freeze sounds like a gunshot and looks like massive amounts of green silly-string completely covering the target.
- Mystic Freeze cannot be activated without the Occultist skill.]
The Rituals aren’t named in the movie either. I’ve given them appropriate names.
After rescuing Hawk and his companions, Witch teleports away. Saying, “This will let them dream a little longer”. I assume she cast a sleep spell, but it’s unclear.
The Witch, though blind, has no problem moving around. Looking towards people, aiming her staff in the right direction, etc. She acts as if she isn’t blind. She still gets a minor Drawback since she wouldn’t be able to read, tell colors, etc.
The actress, Patricia Quinn, has light green eyes and curly red hair.
Source of Character: The 1980 movie Hawk the Slayer, character portrayed by Patricia Quinn.
Helper(s): IMDb, Wikipedia, Darci.
Writeup completed on the 11th of January, 2020.